Getting more space from HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnu

Solid State Member
I bought a 160 gb hdd a while ago as a secondary drive, and when I initialized it, my computer only recognized ~120 gigs. I (stupidly) thought that 120 would be fine for my purposes and didn't bother to try to get the remaining 40 gigs. I didn't think I'd ever use up even 100 gigs.

Well, I was wrong :p, so what can I do to now to reclaim the remaining 40 gigs? I have it in an USB enclosure at the moment.

u need SP1 or higher installed on windows XP, othewise it wont recongize anything over 137gbs = about 125gbs formatted.

I have SP2 on Windows XP. I ran disk management; it does show the additional space on the HDD (E: ) as "Unallocated." I right click on that space, and it says as an option, "New Partition." I guess that would be fine, but is it possible just to add that remaining space to (E: ) instead of making a new drive letter? That is, without erasing everything that's already on E:?

Yes, something like Partition Magic would work wonderfully in this scenario. Did you not fully partition your drive during the Windows Installer?

Nope. I stupidly thought that I wouldn't need it, and I didn't want to bother with trying to figure out how to get all of the disk, because only 120 gb were recognized.

But I dug around disk management and ran DISKPART from the command prompt and got the partition to extend across the whole disk. So problem solved. And without having to use a third-party program. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom