Getting cpu need help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Getting cpu need help

I would like to know the diference between a retail boxed CPU and a OEM CPU? Anything worng or changed with the OEM CPU.

does that AMD 64 3500 comes with a 1mb L2 version?

Also im not sure which one to buy AMD 64 3500 939 or the AMD 3400 754 with 1 MB L2?

sorry if already been answer i try the search but couldn't fidn anything on the OEM Retail question. thx for the help

Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

there is no real difference between oem versions and box versions of processors. The only difference is the warranty. For example, a box processor may have a two year warranty, whereas an oem processor may have waranty for over 4 years. It could be vice versa too.

But beside warranties, there is rarely, but sometimes differences in the cpu's. Usually it's just the cache, or sometimes overclock blocking hardware.

Like I said, no REAL difference.

In the eyes of Bill Gates, the open source world seems un-activated...
Old 02-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

The only difference is Retail comes with a heatsink and fan and sometimes different warranty's. Their is no suck thing as "overclock" blocking hardware on CPU's besides locking the multipliers from the top. Only the FX series are unlocked from the top.

Also go for the skt 939. The 1 meg cache 754's are an really old core
Old 02-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

First, the difference between OEM and Reatail is basically that the Retail will come with a heatsink and fan, and instructions. While the OEM will not, but it may have instructions.

The 3500+ does not have any version with 1MB cache

I would buy the 3500+ because it is socket 939. Although the cache is nice...the 939 upgradability is good.
Sig removed due to foul language. Please read the rules regarding the allowable content of sigs before reposting your COMPLIANT sig.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Can the 3500 still use the 2100 2700 and 3200 ddr ram? cuase i have 512 MB 2100

thx so there is no problem with buy an oem cpu cool. what baout buyign thoses motherboards cpu combos with oem that cool too?

Also where is the best place a amd 64 cpu from, price wise?
Closed Thread