General Information on Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomNewb

Solid State Member
Ok, I have been using computers for quiet a while, and so have many people I have talked to. The thing is, I dont, and they dont seem to have clear idea about somethings. Like RAM, I have 512 DDR ram on one of my computers. RAM is part of the memory on your computer right? And it makes it run faster? And your harddrive is also a type of memory, but doesnt have anything to do with the speed of a computer? I guess im just confussed on how each of these effects your computer. If someone could explain them:

RAM in general
Processor speed like "1133MHz processor"
32.MB of memory
And the MHz things that are on like video and graphics card.

Also, is there a certain point where you cant upgrade anymore, like up to a certain point in RAM? Lets say I have 256 RAM instead, how would that change my computer?

I hope I explained what I am trying to figure out good enough, sort of hard to explain.

Thanks,

Newb~

great links XT! let me add a bit of info that will help clear your questions:

RAM is part of the memory on your computer right?

RAM (also known as main memory) is the memory modules that can be replaced by a user. the processor (also called CPU) has memory on it called L1 & L2 cache which is much faster than RAM.

ram is considered main memory because when the CPU needs additional memory it turns first to the RAM. if there is no main memory available windows operating systems use virtual memory which is babsically fake memory created on the hard drive.

And it makes it run faster?
ram come in many different types. each type is rated at a certain speed so there are levels of speeds. you motherboard can only accept a certain range of memory speeds. memory can be overclocked to make it run faster than its rated speed.

And your harddrive is also a type of memory, but doesnt have anything to do with the speed of a computer?

no hard drives are not memory. system memory loses information when you turn off power. hard disk keep data on it for long periods of time even after power is off. hard disks have rated speeds also just like memory.

these are rated by interface types. beleive it or not a hard disk has an enormous amount of influence on how fast your computer will run. in my opinion the CPU has the biggest influence on computer speed and next is the hard drive.

RAM in general
Processor speed like "1133MHz processor"
32.MB of memory
And the MHz things that are on like video and graphics card.

each piece of hardware is rated using a standard unit of measurement.

a processor also called CPU used to be rated at Mhz = megahertz. today's computers are much faster and rated at Ghz = gigahertz. 1 Ghz = 1000 Mhz

memory is rated by size and type. PC3200 is a type and tells you what speed it runs. 32MB is megabtyes and tells you how much RAM.

video card is simpley another way of saying graphics card or graphics adaptor. they all mean the same thing. video cards say 128MB ect because it tells you how much memory is on the card. video cards have their own memory and use main memory if there is not enough.

Also, is there a certain point where you cant upgrade anymore, like up to a certain point in RAM? Lets say I have 256 RAM instead, how would that change my computer?

most computer illiterate people think they can simply upgrade their computers in the future and magically they will have a machine equal to the current lin of computers.

in reality you would have to buy a new computer, upgrading is only practical if you need a faster video card to play the latest computer games or need a bigger hard drive to store your pr0n.

CPU, memory, motherboads, can not be upgraded much. since CPU is the biggest factor in speed you are limited.

CPU, memory, motherboads, can not be upgraded much. since CPU is the biggest factor in speed you are limited.

very true. What also limits you is when new cpus come out in different pins than your mobo supports. However, intel and there team(if you have an intel machine) have decided that there new cpu called the prescott whihc is P5 due late this summer will be first in 478pin configuartion for most intel motherboards of today. And than later move up to 700-900 pins just for the fact of speed and performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom