General crashes causing havoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apie

Banned
I'm running Win98 on a Pentuim II 233 and 192K memory (one 64k and one 128K) I've got a CDROM, a CD-RW/DVD and 2 Seagate 20Gb drives.

Ever so often, I get a system speaker beeping when I do a hot boot. Sometimes at booting up, Sacndisk will run because of an "improrer shutdown" which was not the case. Ever so often it would boot up and Registry checker will run and fix the registry for no apparent reason - the shutdown was normal and the system seemed to operate fine before it was shutdown the previous day.

Please help , this is driving me up the wall

If possible I would try to get rid of one of those hard drives, do you really need 40GB on a p2? Or you could sell them and buy one 40GB drive.

Before anything else happens back everything up, then proceed to reformat your hard drive(s) This should solve any problems you have with your OS. As soon as you finish installing Windows again you should install all drivers, etc. Then immediately do a Windows Update. And get the OS up to date with all current updates and service packs. Then you should be able to install your applications again.

Try this put your windows disk in the cd rom then dont let it autostart.Then go to start,programs,accessories,system tools,system info,click on tools tab,system file checker then scan for altered files.This will replace any corrupt files.Hope it helps.Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom