Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Monitors, Printers and Peripherals (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/)
-   -   GeForce FX 5900 LE "Ticking" Please Help (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/geforce-fx-5900-le-ticking-please-help-59437/)

Slam'n Systems 07-22-2005 02:10 PM

GeForce FX 5900 LE "Ticking" Please Help

My graphics card GeForce FX 5900 LE that I got from my relatives computer..room next to mine.. has been working fine for the past month, except if a fan isn't blowing in my PC Case when I am playing BF2, sometimes the Blue Screen comes up but works fine other then that..that's once in a GREAT while the blue screen comes up.

Well, now I turned on my computer, it was working fine for about 30 minutes, then I go play the MotoGP 3 Demo and a nVidia screen came up and it said this:

To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

Popped up 200 times ..seriously, I checked in Windows Task Manager.

Now, I can't even go from one website to another, goto My Computer or anywhere without it popping it up. And it seems, each time I go somewhere, it makes a "ticking" noise .. just 1 tick per each time I click on something.

And another weird thing .. my Hard Drive light is now constantly on like it's running?

Please Help!

woot7800GT 07-22-2005 02:36 PM

Overheating?

Counter-Strike 07-22-2005 02:39 PM

Getting too hot, have you oc'ed it by any chance? Or your room mate? Check the clock/memory with PowerStrip and let us know what it is.

ThE_MarD 07-22-2005 02:52 PM

Heyyo,

Either that or the vidcard's failing..

You sure the ticking's coming from the vidcard? usually the ticking is coming from a HD that the ide cable is falling out of, or the HD is dying.

Counter-Strike 07-22-2005 02:58 PM

Well that is another possibility. Disconnect/Re-Connect your HD to the MoBo, then try it again.

Slam'n Systems 07-22-2005 03:37 PM

Before I shut my computer down for like 10 minutes, I checked where the ticking came from and yes, it is from the Hard Drive.

I am installing PowerStrip now, I'll let you know what its at.

BTW, I am now back on the computer and it isn't doing it. And no, has not been overclocked.

EDIT:

Engine Clock: 400 MHZ
Memory Clock: 700 MHZ

It's on the edge of Green to yellow.

Counter-Strike 07-22-2005 03:53 PM

That's fine, I think that is the standard clock speed. So it is just running hot, the fan isn't working well, get some more fans in that case.

Slam'n Systems 07-22-2005 04:06 PM

I have a huge desk fan blowing right into my Video Card :-p on High

Slam'n Systems 08-10-2005 05:33 AM

It's been working fine for a while and now the ticking is coming back. Yesterday I forgot to put my desk fan that blows into the computer on before I play my game so then I started playing..came up the nVidia error again, turned on the fan and it was fine. Now the HD just won't stop ticking no matter what I do :(