Geforce Fx 5200 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_g

Beta member
Hello all,

I'm in the process of setting up a wireless network in my home. I removed my old 56k modem, and replaced it with a belkin wireless card. When I switched on my PC, the monitor was blank as if it could'nt recognise a signal. Perplexed, I slotted the belkin card into another PCI slot. Problem solved, or so it seemed. A while later, it became nessecary for me to put my 56k modem back into the pc, and when I did this the problem came back. I removed the modem, but the problem persists. My bios makes a distinct long beep followed by three short beeps ( apparently this indicated an "enhanced graphics adaptor error"). This isn't very useful; the problem has obviously something to do with the graphics card, a geforce fx 5200.

If anyone could help me with this problem I'd appreciate it,

Peter G

Do you think that's likely, given that it stopped working, started working again and then stopped working again?

Try removing your video card from its slot and inserting it back in again. Sometimes this problem happens to me too when I insert or remove a PCI card. I wouldnÂ’t go as far as saying your video card is broken though. I think this problem may be caused by the video card being knocked just a little loose in its slot.

Good luck

Seems to me like there was an IRQ conflict or something similar, it'll be difficult to know for sure without video though. If you have another video card laying around you should try popping that, but as mentioned reseating the card can resolve problems at times.

Try removing the wireless/modem cards, as well, to help troubleshooting and see where the conflict is. Hopefully then you'll know what pci slot is hands-off from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom