GeForce FX 5200.........NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

compu-dude

Baseband Member
Hey!

I'm new here so please pardon any ignorance I may show about message board posting.

I recently purchased a new graphics card for my comp. Prolink GeForce FX 5200 128 mb 8x AGP. I installed it and after all of the reviews i have read i expected not to have any lag or stuttering in my games at all. The graphics are definitely better than the card i replaced (GeForce 4 MX 440) although i have had some lag and stuttering. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what may be causing these problems and what i could do to fix it. I have already tried adjusting comp settings such as refresh rate etc.... I was reading some other posts and have come to the conclusion that maybe my power supply is not sufficient although i want to try and go through other options before i go out and by a new power supply. Any help would be great!

I'm running a P4 2.4Ghz, 512 MB of ddr at pc 2700. i am currently trying to figure out my motherboard model. LOL!

Go to this link to see my graphics card for any other info.......

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-108-130&catalog=48&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

What games do you play and what grahpics settings do you play at? I think the 5200 might be the slowest of the FX graphics cards but I'm not sure. I have a 128Mb 5600 and I get lag issues is some games.

in testing out the card so far i have played both call of duty demos, bf 1942, the rainbow six three demo and lord of the rings return of the king from EA Games. All three lagged just a little bit although i did have a couple of times where it completely just got so choppy. it happens more than would seem appropriate. (its still better than my previous card.)

my friend has a very similiar geforce fx 5200 card from prolink although not identical. he said he can have all of his game settings turned up to the max and not have any problems except where there is a bug in the game. he and i have the same games i listed except for rainbow six 3.

yeah i do have the latest drivers. i originally installed those at first after installing teh hardware. i then tried installing the drivers that came with it (after having those problems) and the same thing happened. although now that i think about it it may have been a little worse.

I mean, you are using a geforce fx 5200... this isnt the greatest card on the planet. Call of Duty is a fairly intensive game, but if you are trying to play it with all the graphics all of the way up, you might get a little stuttering. Escpesially if you are playing with antialiasing and anisitrophic filtering. Nvidia cards cant handle FSAA and AA very well. Your power supply wont have any effect on your performance, it will just not work if you overload it. You system specs are fine for gamming, but the graphics card isnt very great.

i did notice that whenever the games lag or slow down the light that shows the comp is accessing the hard drive. is there anything i should do for that?

i do realize that the card is not the best. i was on a budget so after researching and talking to a friend who has a similiar prolink 5200 card (he has all of his games turned up to the max with no problems) i decided to go with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom