Geforce 6800U release date? X800XTPE already at Best Buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WQ87 said:
You do have a point, but seeing how the X800 and 6800 are fairly equal in performance and quality, i would still go with the 6800 because of the Pixel Shader 3.0. Give me a reason why you won't go for it. A good reason.

I got two for you;)

1. Because the 6800Ultra needs alot more power than the X800XT, which actually uses less power than the 9800XT:confused: Yes, most can run the 6800 Ultra on 400watts and what not, but Nvidia doesn't recommend a 480watt PSU for no reason.... And the reason why the 6800 needs so much power? Because it has 60 million extra transistors just for Pixel Shader 3.0.....

2. The X800XT looks so much nicer and doesn't take up that extra PCI card, where as the 6800 Ultra looks so huge and bulky:confused: You have to also wonder about noise:confused:

The Merlin said:
I got two for you;)

1. Because the 6800Ultra needs alot more power than the X800XT, which actually uses less power than the 9800XT:confused: Yes, most can run the 6800 Ultra on 400watts and what not, but Nvidia doesn't recommend a 480watt PSU for no reason.... And the reason why the 6800 needs so much power? Because it has 60 million extra transistors just for Pixel Shader 3.0.....

2. The X800XT looks so much nicer and doesn't take up that extra PCI card, where as the 6800 Ultra looks so huge and bulky:confused: You have to also wonder about noise:confused:

The 6800 Ultra minimum is 350w, as said in this article: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/10/news_6096837.html
Only reason why nVidia recommended 480w so nothing will go wrong, unlike ATI (speaking of canadian companies, no offense to some of you :D). Remember, for optimal-best performance in Farcry, for example, requires atleast a 1.8 Ghz cpu to run without failure/lag. The card wasn't meant for people with an outdated gaming system (p3 800mhz using sdram for example).

And the size, they are close to being the same, except that huge fan sticking out of the 6800.

And about the noise, why worry about the fan when there is the technology of today where they can make a fan nearly whisper silent. nVidia was also known for their great cooling for their cards, and this dates back to the time of the GeForce 4 TIs.

Also remember that the 6800 kills in OpenGL and everyone's favorite game...Doom 3 is OpenGL...hmmm, that I really why I'm looking into the 6800, the Doom 3 engine is the real next gen engine not HL2... hell the alpha ran silky smooth on my Geforce4ti 4600 at 1600x1200! No AA or Ani. Doom alpha on the other hand ran like crap. Also I have a 550w psu so power reqs are not really an issue for me and the dual slot design is not either, I only have a wireless card and sound card in my comp and that's it. Thing I'm pissed about is that the damn thing was announced back in April and we are still waiting, I just don't understand why ATI was able to bring them to retail so fast and Nvidia is lagging?

hereticiv said:
I just don't understand why ATI was able to bring them to retail so fast and Nvidia is lagging?

nVidia don't make their own cards, they rely on other companys to do that. ATI makes their own though...

hereticiv said:
Also I have a 550w psu so power reqs are not really an issue for me and the dual slot design is not either, I only have a wireless card and sound card in my comp and that's it. Thing I'm pissed about is that the damn thing was announced back in April and we are still waiting, I just don't understand why ATI was able to bring them to retail so fast and Nvidia is lagging?

Well thats good for you, but I was stating reasons why I think the X800XT is better for the majority of people, not you alone...;) Both are great cards and each has its pro's and con's, the decision is made on preference and opinions.

I would be happy to own either one and like both Nvidia and ATi, which is one characteristic that seems to be few and far between in the computer world...:p

it really comes down to money. if you have the money to buy the more expensive one, you will probably compare the two to see if you are getting a good deal ( well thats what i would do). however, most people don't have that kind of money laying around. so they will buy whichever one is cheapest. and then you have ppl like me who buy things that are not the newest because we either don't want to spend that much on the stuff just released, or don't have the money. I think that most ppl fall into that catagory. I am hoping that the prices will fall the the 9600xt when the new card is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom