Geforce 6800U release date? X800XTPE already at Best Buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereticiv

Baseband Member
I was wondering if anyone had any info on the new Nvidia card. I've been looking and calling all over and no one has any info at all. April 14th was the anouncement for christ's sake and the ATI card was announced about 2 weeks later and it is already on store shelves! I saw the x800XT Platinum Edition at Best Buy...and here they always get things late...wtf?! I'm moving on June 1st (in with the lady) and I'm trying to keep this purchase hidden from her because she will flip if she finds out that I just bought a card that expensive. Now it looks like I'll have to somehow order it and grab the package and invoice before she sees it because it won't be out until I've already moved in...DAmN Nvidia!!!

My only issue the the X800 is that it doesn't have shader 3.0 support so future games that use DX9.0c will most likely look better on the 6800 than on the X800 and may run faster also becasue of the hardware support of PS 3.0.

hercules_upw said:
just buy the ATI card, it outperforms the 6800 anyway.

Exactly.

Both cards are great, but overall, the ATI one seems to be pumping out a few extra FPS in games.

Sniff sniff, do i smell a competition here? Seriously, a few fps won't make much of a difference. Also, the shader 2.0 is pretty unattractive. I expected better from ATI. Alot of ATI fanboys fail to realize that the X800 is just based off the R300 with better parts added on and it's core upped. All they care about is if ATI wins in a benchmark, even when it is a close match.

Yes, you can go for the X800xt PE, thats if you can't wait. But be warned! This can explain: http://www.community.tomshardware.c...hics&Number=542207&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

Keep in mind that i'm on nobody's side. I "was" an ATI Fan, but do to the nonsense from others opinion, i decided to be nuetral for now.

WQ87 said:
Sniff sniff, do i smell a competition here? Seriously, a few fps won't make much of a difference. Also, the shader 2.0 is pretty unattractive. I expected better from ATI. Alot of ATI fanboys fail to realize that the X800 is just based off the R300 with better parts added on and it's core upped. All they care about is if ATI wins in a benchmark, even when it is a close match.

Yes, you can go for the X800xt PE, thats if you can't wait. But be warned! This can explain: http://www.community.tomshardware.c...hics&Number=542207&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

Keep in mind that i'm on nobody's side. I "was" an ATI Fan, but do to the nonsense from others opinion, i decided to be nuetral for now.

I'm not an ATI fanboy or anything, but saying that ATI is the best and has been the best for quite a while is no joke.

Just match up the RADEON 9800 XT against the Geforce FX 5950 ULTRA and you will see what I mean.

As for a few FPS, you are right that it doesnt matter, but then again we have yet to see the FPS on next-gen games such as Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, so that is when we really WILL tell which card is the best.

I say the X800 will end up being the best, but that is just an estimate........as of now, it is hard telling.

May the games of the future hold the truth within!!!! ;)

Nothing uses Pixel Shader 3.0 right now though and by the time they do brand new faster cards will be out by then:confused:

Chubz said:
I'm not an ATI fanboy or anything, but saying that ATI is the best and has been the best for quite a while is no joke.

Just match up the RADEON 9800 XT against the Geforce FX 5950 ULTRA and you will see what I mean.

As for a few FPS, you are right that it doesnt matter, but then again we have yet to see the FPS on next-gen games such as Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, so that is when we really WILL tell which card is the best.

I say the X800 will end up being the best, but that is just an estimate........as of now, it is hard telling.

May the games of the future hold the truth within!!!! ;)

First of all, this ain't the battle of 9800xt vs 5950 Ultra. That was a while ago.

With the new GeForce 6 Series, obviously the FX is going to be obsolete in no time. But keep in mind that some FX cards do have an advantage in some games.

Yes, the extra FPS does not matter... for now.

About Half life 2 and Doom 3, we are talking about the GeForce 6 Series, not the FX. Huge difference. And yes, maybe the X800 might get on the top in Half life 2. Remember, Half life 2 is going to be optimized for ATI cards. Doom 3 is a different story though, although some say nVidia might handle things well in Doom 3.

Also, not to let you down but the X800 won't be the best of this year. Being based off an architecture over 2 years old, it's going to be owned by the X880xt coming out in late july, and i would expect that to have a technology matching the 6800.

The Merlin said:
Nothing uses Pixel Shader 3.0 right now though and by the time they do brand new faster cards will be out by then:confused:

You do have a point, but seeing how the X800 and 6800 are fairly equal in performance and quality, i would still go with the 6800 because of the Pixel Shader 3.0. Give me a reason why you won't go for it. A good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom