Solid State Member
P4 3.0
1gig 3200
160g hd
40g hd
550w psu
BFG Geforce 6800GT OC

The issue:
Games involved= BF1942, Kotor, Jedi Acadamy.

I have been running the nvidia 61.77 drivers for my card because if I use any drivers higher than that I experience a graphical anomally that I will do my best to describe.

Say you are looking at an object in the game, say a building. The "frame" of a wall will extend up past where it meets the roof and on up to the sky. Then if I turn my player a bit, it will dissapear. Then something else will be jetting across the screen. Very weird. During the 3dmark05 first test, these lines went everywhere. I couldn't believe how bad it was. With the old driver, everything is fine. Now my problem is that my card isn't performing at all near what it should be without the new drivers and the new games I got (kotor and acadamy) will simply freeze up with the old drivers installed. They seem to run fine with no graphical issues(that I have noticed, but haven't played them too much) with the new drivers. I downloaded the demo for brothers in arms and played it with the new drivers and had the same graphical issues.

I have been going back and forth with support from BFG to try to figure it out. I updated my mobo drivers, Bios and I even formatted and reinstalled windows with no luck. Does anyone out there have any ideas? I am looking at it being a possible video card problem or a motherboard problem, but I can't find anyone that has any ideas. The support team from my mobo manufacturer was useless and BFG went as far as they could I think. I am on the brink of blasting this system and getting a new mobo, but I wanted to ask for ideas first. Help.. Thanks.

welcome to the forums mdechellis..

ahh...another BFG 6800GT issue...

here's what i've read/noticed about this "problem".

many 6800GT owner's have complained about numerous difficulties getting that card to run properly out-of-the-box...

a user explained that the only way he got his card to run properly was to actually underclock his card to NON-OC specifications...

if you know how to do that...you could try that. it helped that person...

if you're not comfortable doing that...then we'd be happy to help you learn how.

also, what mobo do you have?

have you installed/updated the chipset drivers for that brand?

usually that will fix some problems...

To me it sounds like your card is overheating

Search google on howto overclock your card as BFG already does it. Take this knowledge and underclock your card by 10%, if that solves the problem it isolates this as overheating \ undervolting

Also right click on desktop, properties, settings, advanced, 6800 tab, temperatures to check your temps

The core temp is 53degrees C. The threshold is set at 120 so it is no where near that. If it is overheating, why would this issue only occur with the newer drivers and be gone with the old drivers? Would the older drivers make the GPU run cooler somehow?

I have a machspeed mobo and I did update the chipset drivers with the latest from the chip manufacturer site.

The strangest thing is that it works fine with the old drivers, well with the exception of the newer games not working ;). I basiclly just want to find out if the card is screwed or if it is the mobo. I am actually going to swap out my card for the one in my friends pc to see if the newer drivers work ok with that card. If it does, would that mean that it is in fact the vid card and not the mobo?

I'll try underclocking the card if that is the case to see if that helps any.

I swapped out my card for another and it worked fine with the latest drivers. Which leads me to believe the motherboard is fine. Now I want to try to underclock in a bit to see what happens. I have downloaded RivaTuner to help with this but I am a bit weary of doing so. Actually I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Any help?

Just slide the bar down for the core from 370 to 350. But even if that works, you shouldn't have to do that. I have the same card and run it 24/7 at 400 and when I get a hair I run it at 425. You either have a faulty card or a driver issue. Did you upgrade the card or was this in a fresh build? If you upgraded, was the old card an ATI by any chance?

Have you tried a complete clean of the drivers and then install the new one? Have you tried 74.89 yet?

I would almost bet this is some sort of driver issue. If it happens to be the card, BFG has a great warranty so your good there. But don't live with it if you have to underclock. You should be able to OVERCLOCk it. And by quite a bit. The 6800GT's are great overclocking cards.

Lowering the clock didn't help at all so I just spoke with BFG to set up an exchange for a new card. Only crappy part now is that I will not have my pc for a week or so...oh well. Thanks for the help everyone.

RMA that sucker, after reading all the updates and formatting that you've done and whatnot I'd say that's your best bet........the only thing I'd suggest is of course making sure that extra molex connector is plugged in and whatnot cause if it was being under powered that'd cause problems, but yeah you should RMA it IMO

I am pretty new with some of this stuff and I gotta admit that I have never heard of RMA before. Tried Googling but... so...what is RMA (so I can consider trying it) thanks.

mdechellis said:
I am pretty new with some of this stuff and I gotta admit that I have never heard of RMA before. Tried Googling but... so...what is RMA (so I can consider trying it) thanks.

just means returing it to the manufacturer...which you just did.

the newest drivers actually decreased the temps of those cards by a good amount...so really it should help, not hurt the card..

so maybe it was just a faulty card to begin w/ seeing that you tried a different card and it worked fine.

hope BFG gets that back to ya asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom