GeForce 6800 series Video encoding - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default GeForce 6800 series Video encoding

I read that the video encoding hardware on all the 6800 series were broken. Meaning the CPU has to do the work instead of the graphics card...So does this mean when I watch any videos or anything on my computer, my CPU will be at like 60%?

Is there a way to fix this someway? I just bought a PNY Verto GeForce 6800 for $200...I didn't open it yet but I don't know if I should keep it or buy a 6600gt because of the video thing. How important is video encoding?

it says "Integrated full hardware MPEG-2 Decoder - Delivers full-frame rate, full-screen MPEG-2 video on your desktop. " on the descriptions.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

Any video card has to do some video encoding, but i would imagine that most of it is done by the cpu. I havent checked it out on my comupter when i run a dvd or video file. I'll have to look at this when i get back to my computer.

Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 11-26-2004, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

hmm dunno if I should open it or not....
Old 11-26-2004, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I haven't heard of anything about the video encoding being some kind of article to prove that? Generally I would assume in the case of videos your CPU should be doing most of the work and/or RAM since you usually have to have certain codecs installed on your machine just to be able to watch the videos anyway and the video card only works a little bit for the 'standard 2d' applications and a few controls for the brightness and whatnot of the video.

I don't think your CPU will sit at 60% just from watching a movie though....but again I'm not 100% sure
Old 11-27-2004, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

It depends on the CPU. A 500MHz will at least be at 60%. My CPU is 100% even when opening a window.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 11-27-2004, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

and theres more but I can't find it...
Old 11-27-2004, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

hmm well...if there was NO acceleration like they say then there would be no seeing anything. No acceleration=no monitor image.

15'' Macbook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz
x1600 128MB
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Closed Thread