Gaming TFT Monitor... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Gaming TFT Monitor...

Hello there...

I am needing some advice on buying a TFT monitor, specifically for gaming purposes.

I would much rather go for a CRT - for the price and choice of resolutions - but my space is VERY limited so I'd need a TFT that can be wall-mounted.

I have already done a lot of research, but find many contradicting reviews and advice on seperate websites, so I thought it would be better to ask people who know a little more than me...

17" is probably the best size for me, aswell as a good viewing angle, and of course, fast pixel response to reduce the ghosting effect.

Asthetics are of secondary importance, but not more important than those mentioned above.

If anyone has a TFT monitor that fits my spec requirements and would recommend it, or have any other recommendations, please advise!

Thanks a lot,
Will

Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Take a look at the monitors ViewSonic and BenQ offer. They have a wide range of good LCDs with many of them wall-mountable.

Just try to find the monitor with the biggest screen-size you can afford, the lowest Dot-Pitch (0.27 or less, though 0.29 is okay if you have a big monitor or are on a budget), and the fastest response time available (no more than 25ms, 16 or 12 is best). Pay attention to the native resolutions, as with LCD monitors the native resolution is the only resolution they will show accurately.

I would suggest:

ViewSonic VP171s (17", 16ms)

or

BenQ FP767-12 (17", 12ms)

The more you want to spend, though, the better you'll get. Those two I suggested are above average.

How much are you willing to spend? If you don't care and just want the best you can get, I have other suggestions. If you're looking for a good generic monitor, go with the suggestions I listed above.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 10-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I have the 17inch 12ms Benq. It is very good, no lagging that i can see. It plays Doom 3 really well. Its has come down a bit in price so go get it!

http://www.flyingmonkeys.co.uk
Old 10-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, they have been a great help.

I completely overlooked the BenQ monitor you mentioned, and found one for just over £240.

This is around the figure I was planning on spending, and for that price, the specs look fairly impressive.

It's most likely going to be a purchase. Let's just hope BenQ don't have a bad reputation for dead pixels...

Think the price is likely to go down again before Xmas?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

My Benq has no dead pixels. I guess it is just luck.

http://www.flyingmonkeys.co.uk
Old 10-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Samsung 172x

it's been coming down in price...it was $500 just a month ago, but now its $430.

Closed Thread