Gaming slowdown with LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogwork

In Runtime
I'm not sure whether this belongs in the gaming, hardware or network section.

I have 2 machines connected by a crossover cable. Both systems are running fine now, but when it comes to Unreal Tournament. my PC, the upstairs one, drops to 3 frames per second, while the downstairs one barely loses a frame.
I'm not entirely sure why it's dropping this much - even when I play online games with dial up my frame rate is still enough to be playable.

I think it's because of the USB port, being USB nic card. PLaying with the downstairs computer off but with the USB device still plugged in gives me terrible performance on UT. This also happened when I used a Playstation-USB adaptor in ZSNES - the frame rate dropped to 30fps.

Is there any way I can improve performance? This PC is a K6-2 500 with 192MB of ram and a voodoo 3 3000.

you should probably consider a PC upgrade....seriously, LOW Ram and a VERY OLD cpu....u should definitely consider upgrading/replacing your pc

I'm considering it, but it's still pretty sufficient for my needs - I can't justify updating just for LAN games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom