Gaming Mouse Pad Help/Suggestions? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Gaming Mouse Pad Help/Suggestions?

Hey everyone,

So really ever since the end of the old fashion "ball" mice (or whatever they're technically called) I haven't ever really used a mouse pad. However, now that I am gaming a lot more and doing it primarily on a PC I think it would be a good idea to get one. Obviously though, since I haven't used one since the good ole' days I figured I'd get some suggestions from some of the other gamers out there.

First, I primarily play MMOs, if that makes any kind of difference in the type of pad I should be looking for.

Second, there are the hard and soft versions out nowadays what do you prefer and why? What are the differences between the two?

Third, do any of you have the mouse pads with wrist rests/pads? Do they actually add any comfort for you? I feel like it might just get in the way but would like to hear from any of you that might have a version with one.

Other than that if there is anything else worth noting please let me know. Suggestions are definitely welcome.

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 950 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 - G.Skill Ripjaws 6GB RAM - Cooler Master Hyper N520 - ATI HD5870 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 - Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB HDD - RevoDrive 240GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K - ASUS Sabertooth P67 - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM - Cooler Master V8 - AMD HD6970 (Crossfire) - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 PSU - Western Digital Black Caviar (1.5TB) & Green Caviar (2TB) HDD - OCZ Agility 2 160GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Re: Gaming Mouse Pad Help/Suggestions?

I use this one: - Mionix Propus 380 Gaming Mouse Pad

It is a combo of hard and soft. The mat is flexible but not foldable. The surface is solid and not cloth. The underside is rubber (or something very close) so it has a touch of give and does not move. Plus the size is about right... not tooo small and not too big. And you can't beat it for $20.

I used to use a Razer eXactMat. They no longer make that one, but I think they do a new version in white, but it is made of plastic instead of aluminum. Hmmm... NewEgg has the white one, but Razer's site has a black one (for $8 more). - RAZER Vespula Dual Sided Gaming Mouse Mat
Razer Vespula - Gaming Mouse Pad | Razer Online Store

I prefer a rigid mat. I guess it is personal preference, though.

I can't seem to use a wrist rest with a mouse. I had one with my eXactMat that I used for a couple of days and then tossed in the closet.

I went through a lot of research a ways back on this subject before I bought the eXactMat and have now moved to the Propus 380.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

I'm using this one - steelseries SP Medium Mouse Pad It's got a rubber bottom so it doesn't move but it's a textured plastic top so it's rigid. I think it's a lot better then rubber/cloth ones I've used cause the edges will never frill up which I found happened a lot. I would recommend it for sure.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I personally use this one: XTracPads

I used this one in the past: XTracPads

What Trotter said.
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread