Gaming monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default Gaming monitor

Can somebody please give me suggestions on a good monitor for gaming. Should I get a new monitor or keep the one I have. I know CRTs are good and the lower the dot-pitch, the better, but what brands and models are the best for gaming and have a reasonable price tag. I currently have an HP Pavilion vf51 LCD.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

LCD's suck for gaming, they don't refresh fast enough... but i've always stuck with sony trinitron CRT's

Old 06-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Sony CRT monitors are great gaming monitors. Also Ive heard NEC CRT's are also damn good. Make sure you find one with low pixel pitch.

Apple, Mac OS , and Power PC
Old 06-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

I am now heavily leaning towards a new CRT. How low does the dot-pitch need to be?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Demalii
LCD's suck for gaming
I know for a fact that this is truly, a false statment. I can show you a wide range of LCD's that are gamers dream. And on top of that, Demalli, I have limited space in my room I need something that is not bulky and yet matches in greatness or more (depending on price) than a CRT, and the same the other way around. I know if I were to take you down to my local Best Buy and show you the one I'm getting for my bro and myself, you would change your mind. It's a 19 inch and DVI and all.

Now I'm not saying at all that one is better than the other, Im just saying that "Hey, LCD's DO NOT SUCK and nor do CRT's, it just matters on the one who perfers which type
Old 06-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

I like the Viewsonic myself, great color depth, and believe it or not the Dell monitor I also have has sweet color depth and quality. As for LCD's, well all I know is that they are way over priced. I saw a dream setup though at the local Fry's Electronics (Best Buy is way too expensive!!!!) where there was this HUGE LCD (or was it plazma?) and leather chair, 7.1 surround sound setup, it was like the ultimate in a gamers wet dream.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I'm really happy with my Viewsonic.
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 06-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to poipo
Default lcds rule :D

Not all lcd's suck. People say they "suck for gaming" because of the low response rate, thus giving the ghosting effect sometimes. this response rate is usually somewhere around 25ms which isn't great at all. what you have to do is find an lcd with low ms such like 16ms found with some hitachi moniters.

link

i go to college and there is no room for a large 19 inch crt moniter. and i see no ghosting with this one :D
Old 06-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoWarrior
I know for a fact that this is truly, a false statment. I can show you a wide range of LCD's that are gamers dream. And on top of that, Demalli, I have limited space in my room I need something that is not bulky and yet matches in greatness or more (depending on price) than a CRT, and the same the other way around. I know if I were to take you down to my local Best Buy and show you the one I'm getting for my bro and myself, you would change your mind. It's a 19 inch and DVI and all.

Now I'm not saying at all that one is better than the other, Im just saying that "Hey, LCD's DO NOT SUCK and nor do CRT's, it just matters on the one who perfers which type
however, the price for a good gaming LCD is far greater than the one for a good gaming CRT.
</form>
Old 06-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to poipo

"however, the price for a good gaming LCD is far greater than the one for a good gaming CRT."

very true.

Crucial 512 pc 3200
Maxtor 80 GB w/ 8meg cache
PD 4x Dual Format DVD burner
52x CD burner

Dual booted with WinXP Pro and Fedora Core 2
Closed Thread