Gaming mice? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Gaming mice?

I'm going to assume is safe to post about mice here, since peripherals were listed.

Anyways, I have been looking at dozens of mice and it's kind of hard to pick one with my limited knowledge. I'm a big gamer, and I'll admit I'm a Razer Fanboi, almost to a diehard, but I will buy something else if it is better. Currently, I've narrowed it down to a few mice choices

Razer Mamba
Newegg.com - RAZER Mamba Black 7 Buttons USB Laser Gaming Mouse - Dual Mode Wired/Wireless Functionality

Microsoft Sidewinder x8
Newegg.com - Microsoft SideWinder X8 Black 12 Buttons Tilt Wheel 2.4GHz Wireless 4000 dpi Gaming Mouse

Coolermaster Sentinel Advance
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER SGM-6000-KLLW1-GP Sentinel Advance Black 8 Buttons Wired Laser 5600 dpi Mouse

Silverstone Raven RVM01
Silverstone Raven Laser Gaming Mouse at Xoxide!

I have played with the Mamba a bit, it fits perfectly into my hand and is super comfortable, though, I'd rather not make a call on an item from experience on just one thing.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Gaming mice?

Razer is your best bet. Another option would be a Logitech. Logitech has the best support, IMO. My Logitech G5 v.1 right click wasn't working. I sent an RMA to them. A few days later, they sent me a shipping receipt. I get a package from them a few days later. I open it up, I get a G5 v.2! These were pricey at the time.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't hit me here, but for the price I love the Logitech MX518, It is nothing super fancy, but I enjoyed it so much on my gaming rig, I bought three more for all my other computers, very nice fitting to your hand. not to mention the sensitivity control is nice, easy to switch from assault to sniping, and I just love the placement of the forward/back buttons.
Newegg.com - Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse

But than again, I have like 12 programmable keys on my keyboard so I don't really need them on a mouse.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=00FF22
<--------- If I helped you to your satisfaction, Rep me! (Its the green check)
Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Logitech shall protect thee. I had a Nostromno (sp?) gaming pad.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

If you like the feel of them, Razer is very hard to beat. Some have had some bad luck with them, but mine have all been sweet.

While the Mamba is neat because is can go wired or wireless, the cost turned me off of it. I currently have the Lachesis:
Newegg.com - RAZER Imperator Black USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Ergonomic Gaming Mouse

Were I to move up, I would check out the Imperator. However I would have to get my hand around it first as it is shaped differently than most other Razer mice in that it handles closer to most Logitech mice (built for the right hand with a thumb indention).
Newegg.com - RAZER Imperator Black USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Ergonomic Gaming Mouse

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I currently have an Logitech mx 518. Its alright, not the best I've had, which is probably the Razer Copperhead (Old school!) For my mousepad, I have a Razer Vespula I bought not to long ago. Great pad. I have. Look at the Lachesis and Imperator, bit iffy
Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Really if you can your best bet is to go to places that have gaming PCs setup and try a few mice. Or go to friends houses or something and try theirs. A mouse is all in personal preference. I love Razer but i cant stand how all their mice are really really light. I like heavy mice and my G5 v2 hits the spot.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Techist Member

For the last 3+ years, I had a Logitech MX518 after my standard ball mouse started to not work out for me when it came to gaming.

I loved my MX518, though early this year I did start to feel it was a little bit too small for me. When my middle mouse button stopped working on it a couple months ago, I decided to spend some money and pick up the Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse. The thing is truly unbelievable. Two different textured skins so you can use whichever feels better on your hand, and I like how I could add weights to it to make it equal the feel that I am looking for in a mouse.

It is hard to decide based on pictures, but I am happy with my purchase. You can also set the mouse to different profiles for different applications you play in. (So, you can set a FPS Profile, RPG Profile..etc ... just for example; do whatever you want) and then set up to 5 dpi quick switch settings for each profile you make. Perfect for getting it "right" in each different game you play.

• Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked 3.2Ghz - Megahalem Cooler
  • eVGA E758-A1 X58 Intel LGA 1366 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • MSI Armor OC 8GB GeForce GTX 1070
  • eVGA 650W G2 Modular Power Supply
  • Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Case
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Corsair Force LE 250GB SSD
  • OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Chasingu Send a message via AIM to Chasingu

I have a good mouse for gaming, not really made for Gaming, but it is pretty good for Gaming. I really don't know the name of it, but I can provide a picture if you want to look for it on best buy. Its pretty expensive, but it is wireless.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1854/0625001631.jpg
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingu View Post
I have a good mouse for gaming, not really made for Gaming, but it is pretty good for Gaming. I really don't know the name of it, but I can provide a picture if you want to look for it on best buy. Its pretty expensive, but it is wireless.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1854/0625001631.jpg
That is not a gaming mouse. That is a standard mouse.