Gaming Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I suppose about the servers, but he wants to make a Gaming Computer ;)

Also, DiabloII you say you get hit with 8.x% tax? What is the TAX and VAT rates, or does tax mean vat over there? because the vat rates over here, england are 17.5% just wondering if you mean vat? If not then doesn't matter ;).

newegg.com is your friend

edit: ok. technically, newegg.com is my friend, but they'll be your friend too if you drop a few G there in a couple years.

I can occasionally find lower prices on one or two things for a build elsewhere (zipzoomfly.com comes to mind), but newegg's site is so well organized, it's not worth the difference.

my exception to that rule (isn't there always one), is cables and fans, which I get from coolerguys.com. (newegg's shipping is too high for those low $$$ items.)

Umk...so...compatablity...right...i can do this (deep breath)

CPU to mobo
-AMD's CPU to mobo connector go by sockets #. The two main sockets numbers out there right now are skt 939 and 754 (the higher the number, the more recent). Skt 939 is faster, but more expensive, but judging by your price range, you should go skt 939. People say that AMD is better for games.

-Intel's CPU to mobo connector also go by sockets. The intel sockets are skt T, 370,479,479, and double Skt 603/604. I'm an AMD person, so anyone wanna help me out here? I think skt 603/604 is the most recent, and skt is the oldest. Generally the higher skt number the better. People say that Intel is better for word processing and movie editing.

PCIe, AGP, and PCI-
There are 3 major slots in your mobo. AGP (used mainly for graphics cards) PCIe (pci express, more recent than AGP, also used for graphics cards) and PCI (used for firewire cards, usb cards, wireless cards, and anything else that goes into your computer. I recommend a PCIe graphics card, and a mobo with 1 PCIe slot and 4 PCI slots. AGP still has life in it, but you have money to spend on PCIe.

Mobo -
You connect everything to your mobo, what can I say? They have AGP, PCIe, and PCI slots, SATA slots, IDE ports, USB, sometimes firewire, various DIMMs (the thing that you insert your RAM into) and a socket for your CPU.

RAM -
The main format of ram out right now is DDR ram, soon to be taken out by DDR2. SD RAM is dying, so don't buy that type. I recomment DDR ram, since AMD doesn't support DDR2 ram yet, and DDR ram is still cheaper than DDR2 ram.

Overclocking -
The process of making your computer faster. you shouldn't attempt it yet...This your first comp.

Hard drives -
PATA is more common, but SATA is the future. A normal user will use at least 40 gig, and that's without media or anything (including games). I'd get at least a 120 gig SATA drive.

DVD drives -
As long as you're not burning DVDs, it doesn't matter which drive you buy. Most drives will read everything you throw at them. However, if you are, there are 2 main formats - DVD-RW and DVD+RW. You can get drives that burn both. There is also the next gen format - dual and double layer - but that media's still $10 a pop, and Dual/Double Layer DVDs won't last long, they will soon get overtaken by blu-ray and HD DVD.

PSU -
Power supply unit. Get one that has 400+ watts.

Fans/cooling -
As long as you're not overclocking, stock stuff should be fine.

That's it...mostly. If I said anything wrong, give me a shout out, and i'll edit it.

One last tibit....this is your first computer, so don't try anything fancy. That should be your second computer.

My personal recommendation (Intel users, PLEASE don't flame me); and i don't have everything.

AMD 3200 or 3500 skt 939
160 gig HD
Case
1 gig DDR RAM
6600 GT PCIe
PCIe, skt 939 motherboard
500 watt PSU
+/- dvd burner

wow, thanks for all this! it'll come in handy. first of all though, when i look at AMD cpus they are around 2.2 ghz compared to 3.2 by intel. Does that really matter cause i hear AMD is still faster? Secondly, how much do you think this will cost cause i have to factor in a flatpanel monitor (230$, xp - $50, Student teacher office - $150, and prolly the mouse keyboard and speakers, around $150 so about $600) will i still ahe enough for the PCIe and nice cpu and all that? (i wont build this prolly for a few months though things can change)

Almost done.
What about cooling does the CPU come with a fan and is that all i need? And finally, what do you mean by "dont do anything fancy"? just so i know what not to do.

sorry for the double post again, but i just added it up and its gonna be around 1650 with all the stuff added in! wow thats a lot less than what i though, and since i'm not building for a while, it'll prolly be less. could you still answer those questions from above though? thanks everyone i reaally appreciate your help.

AMD has a much higher front side bus (fsb). To properly show its processer speeds in the market they mark it by a number such as, for example 3200 which would compare to an intel 3.2 ghz(hope im not wrong about this, but i think im right....)

oh wow, so they're about equal. i think i'm gonna go with the amd cause its cheaper and i'm prolly gonna game more.

First of all...AMD's about equal to Intel becuase of the superior arteciture. AMD's archteciture makes the the clock speed (2.2 gighertz, 3.2 gighertz, 5 gighertz - they aren't out yet - etc.) about 150% better. So, a 2.0 gighertz AMD is about comparable to a 3.0 Intel.

Second of all - you wanna spend 'bout $1500 right? That's perfect. About $500-600 for Win XP (get home - i hear it's better for games and anyways, it's cheaper-about $100-150) a nice LCD (about $200-400), keyboard, mouse (those will put you behind about $100...but i'm cheap, so i only spend $15 for keyboard and mouse - The quality is up to you) then there's the ever popular games...depending on how much you spend on the LCD/keyboard/mouse you could buy like 4 games...or like 1 and still be on budget. Anyways....with $500-600 on extras, it leaves you w/ $900-1000 for hardware (the specs i gave you will cost about that)

CPUs normally come with a fan/heatsink. All CPUs come with stock cooling. You only need extra cooling if you're doing overclocking - but this is your first computer, so overclock on the second computer, or overclock on the first one when the 2an one's in the mail. You should also read some of the tech-forum's overclocking forums and permant posts about overclocking...i think they also have stuff about building computers.

I meant don't do anything fancy like water cooling...or trying to jam your computer into a shoebox, or trying to jam your computer into a trash can, or trying to build your computer into a freezer.....you get the picture. (yes people do do that).

Just remember, the longer you wait...the cheaper it gets....but the longer you wait the better things get.

lol into a trash can? no, i just want a nice case, i wont do that. and water coolings way out there. i think with the $600 for extra's i'll get a surround sound set, and then get a game or two. i still gotta work over the summer, but i can't wait till i save up enough money, this sounds amazing. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom