GA-7NNXP Warm Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmootill

Solid State Member
This is an update to a previous post of mine on this forum. Basically, my computer hates to warm boot. If I try, it will lock up before the video card bios is displayed (before POST), forcing me to cold boot. My 5900XT GPU has it's own power connector, and it only seems to happen when this is plugged in. When it's not plugged in, I can succesfully warm boot (from CMOS), but the computer will auto - power down during windows load up. I read in my Nvidia manual that the system is supposed to be able to boot without the power plugged in, and it will automatically scale back the card functionality and display a warning in Windows informing you of this. This is not the case with me. Without that power cord plugged into the GPU, it just won't boot I've tried 2 power supplies (420W and 500W), RMA'd my mobo, got better RAM, and multiple power connector configurations to no avail. But, when Windows does load, it runs like a dream. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shmoo

AMD 3200+ Barton (not OC'd)
1GB Corsair Twinx PC3200 DDR (2x512MB sticks)
Albatron 5900XTV Nvidia GPU
Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo
500W power supply.
WinXP Pro
Flashed most recent bios

No offense taken, thx for the reply. I am definately suspecting the video card, as this build has been a good lesson on using cheaper parts. Have already flashed the newest bios, and cold boots are fine, I only experience it on warm boot. When it does lock up, not only do I have to power down, but I also have to pull the power plug from the back of comp. If I don't, it seems like the ps is holding a charge, and when I try to power back on, it comes immediately back to the state it was after the lockup ( i.e. fan/LED's on, cd-rom light on, but no other activity). Even if I wait like 20 seconds or so before powering on with the power button. I have an ATI9200 that I can try, but it's such older technology, do you think it would serve as an accurate test? BTW, are all of the newer GPU's using this on-board power connector, or is this kind of an anomaly?

Edit: The video card worked fine in my older P4 Gateway computer that I upgraded from.

P.S. What are the reputable resellers of GPU's?

Thanks,
Shmoo

Fixed!!!

It was the video card after all (Albatron 5900XTV 128). RMA'd and replaced it with a Radeon 9800PRO. Issue fixed, thanks for the help.

Shmoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom