Status
Not open for further replies.

VIII

Daemon Poster
Nvidia tapes out G70 silicon

Head to head with R520 'Fudo'

By Fuad Abazovic: Tuesday 19 April 2005, 13:06
[Advert]
WE JUST LEARNED that Nvidia taped out its next-generation graphics chip codenamed G70.

Whispers say that it's in good shape and that the first silicon is up and running nicely. Our pro-Nvidia sources believe that it will end up faster than ATi's R520, but ATiers will pooh-pooh that claim, for sure.

We don't have much information about specifics but we strongly believe that the G70 will be released very close to the R520's shipping date.

And we're told that this should happen sometime in the autumn but we don't always believe what we're told. Shipping and announcement dates have slipped too many times in the past so we like to take a large portion of salt with our regurgitations. Engineering is hard work and is very unpredictable.

We will fill you in when we learn more. µ

Sweet! Pooh-Pooh ATI

I can't wait. I really better start saving...I imagine if all goes as planned, the G70 will be the fastest, boasting 32 pipes instead of 24 as the R520, and also Shader Model 3.1 (speculation) to keep Nvidia ahead in IQ vs. Shader Model 3.0 which ATI will finally support (and ATI will finally be able to max out current games.)

Lolz! i thought you were referring to me.. but im an nvidia/intel fan boi :D

That doesn't really give any information other than it's basically gonna be the r520 competitor which doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out anyways.

As I say though, a card can look freaking amazing on paper, but without the drivers those specs won't ever see the light of day the way they're supposed to. Both companies seem to have worked on the hardware kinks so far, and only time will tell who gets the software side of things down.

Gonna be expensive as hell though, out of my league safe to say basically.

BTW what's the source for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom