FX 5900XT OC and TDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewgen1

Baseband Member
Im currently running BFG GeForceFX 5900XT OC and am trying to play the game Thief 3(a.k.a. TDS). I am getting a pretty much constant FPS of... 5. Thats right 5 FPS according to FRAPS. Now I know that TDS is a poorly optimized and very system intensive game, however a quick look at my system specs should show that I am more than capable of running this game.

I have tried updating drivers and DirectX and turing off a number of system services(as per the instructions on www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) Since this appears not to be a software error I decided the best thing to do would be to post on this board.

I suppose the my first question is, could the fact that the card is overclocked(it came that way I might add) be causing problems? When I am playing the game I see some white pixels on certain textures(mainly the ones that are on people). I have read that might be a sign that overclockign is causing problems, but I dont have a whole lot of experience witht he topic so Im not sure.

yeah i would take off the overclock. The XT version of NVIDIA cards are actually the lwoer end cards (unlike Ati), so it is probably overclocked to make it appear like a normal 5900 card. Also, what are you running the game at. i would take the res down to 800x600x32. I would also turn off all AA and AF and see how that goes. Oh and turn down all the detail. If its still running crap then, you know your card or drivers are f'd.

I actually have taken the resolution down, to 640x480 on some occasions, and it doesnt do anyhting to help, at all. I turned of the AA and Af at the card control panel, and in teh game I turned on bloom which disables these features in the game.

As far as the drivers go, is there a way that I can completely strip the Nvidia drivers out of windows? Without reformatting of course, although come to think of it, its almost getting to that time of year. As far as having the card FUBARed, well, I certainley hope not. Is there perhaps a conflict with the mobo? And if so, might there be some updated BIOS floating aroudn that would solve it? I have checked the BIOS on the Biostar website and according to them its up-to-date.

Oookay. So does anyone know how to remove a factory built overclock? Im afraid I dont have ayn experience with overclocking, much less de-overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom