In the future I wanna build a comp - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2004, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default In the future I wanna build a comp

Is there any site that tells step by step how to build a comp from completely nothing, it'd be my first time, and I know next to nothing

And be honest, how hard is it to build your own?

My Computer
Sofo File Server Case II
Antec 430 Watt PSU
5 Coolermaster LED fans(2G 3B)
Intel 865iPERL
Intel 2.8 Celeron D
ATi Radeon 9200 SE(For Now)
Sony 52x Cd Drive
Seagate 7200 RPM 40G
CoolerMaster Jet 4 (it works great)
Old 05-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

While I haven't personally built my own, I have a couple friends who have. They say it's incredibly easy, and I believe them too. There really aren't very many parts you would need and if you take a look at the inside of a computer, you can see that the cords and cables really aren't complicated at all, in fact, many of them are labeled so you know exactly where to plug them in. As for a step-by-step tutorial, it may be best to have a friend who knows computers just show you how or tell you what to do, because it may be hard to find a site with the same exact components you're using in your computer. Hope that helps.

-The one and only Keebler Elf-
Old 05-02-2004, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Here's two links that I found pretty easily. First one is dating a bit but it's basically the same thing. It has also great pictures :

This one seems fine too but no pics some annoying ads :

It's really not that complicated, just need some patience, reading and if possible, access to another computer with internet to seek for some help if needed!!

Also, if you buy new, your motherboard and processor will come with manuals that tell you how to do it

The most important manual is the motherboard's manual since jumpers, connectors, etc often change between model. If you don't have the original motherboard, you will be able to download it from the manufacturer website, even if it's an old model.

Good luck!

And last thing, make sure you install the CPU fan correctly, could be fatal! And double check the power supply voltage selector at the back (110V for N.A. or 220V for Europe --- not sure myself, DOUBLE CHECK!) That could be fatal too.

Core2 Duo E6300
Asus P5B
2 X 1024 MB Kingston DDR2 800mhz
Asus GeForce 7600GT
Old 05-03-2004, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

come back here if you want help deciding what parts you want, a lot of sites like that have out of date standards

there are basically
the main/necessary parts:
video card - stay away from video cards integrated in the motherboard
sound card - people often get a motherboard with onboard sound now
CD/floppy drive/s - you'd be crazy not to get at least a CD burner with today's prices, and floppy's are getting ancient so you may not need one (can't remember the last time I used mine)
hard drive/s
Operating System

and other devices you might want/need:
network card (wireless or non-wireless)
Closed Thread