Future hard drives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekster

In Runtime
A couple of years ago , an IT guy told me that NASA was testing the next type of hard drive. It supposed to be solid state if im using the right words. He said it was kind of like ram. It would have no moving parts and be very fast. Has anyone heard about this?

sounds similar to the FMD stuff I was talking about. Using a special fluorocarbon in multiple levels. The basics are, take a multi-layered (say 100) plastic box with 100 sectors. Each sector has 100 individual fluorocarbon- one per layer. Depending on its phase or whatever, beam one passes the sector and energizes the correctly 'tuned' (not sure of the correct phasing for this) fluorocarbon, and then the next beam reads which are energized. A energized will be a '1' and non will be a '0'. The media is fixed, just the read head is mechanical AND it would read 100 layers per pass making the bandwidth HUGE. The original project got scrapped (not sure why) but the material to make the media was cheap. Just plastic and the carbon, I guess. Its a real interesting idea, and hope to see it actually come to light. This would work with HDD, memory, cache, etc... like little formica chips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom