FSB vs Mb RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Shift

In Runtime
Hey again everyone.
New week, new problem...

This time, i have a relatively small one.
Now that my computer is fixed and set up, I'm building a computer from the old parts for someone (not sure who i'll give it to, but that hardly matters)

The old parts include two RAM sticks. One PC2100, and one PC3200. Both 256Mb.
The question is: would the computer be better off with 512Mb of RAM running partially underclocked at 266Mhz, or just one 256Mb stick at 400Mhz?
I have my ideas, but i'm kind of curious as to whether i'm right or not.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

This depends on what you are going to do with it, and if the mobo has integrated graphics. Integrated graphic cards often 'steal' RAM from your regular RAM. Faster (but less) RAM in this case would increase your graphics performance, but on the other hand you are left with even less RAM for other applications.

Well, if your FSB supports 400MHz DDR at full speed, then what the hell are you doing with a PC2100 chip in there!? If not, then your better off just leaving it as is.

FSB to RAM
(bold: what it looks like you are currently running)
266MHz (133MHzx2): PC2100 RAM
333MHz (167MHzx2): PC2700 RAM
400MHz (200MHz x2): PC3200 RAM
533MHz (267MHz x2): PC4200 RAM

heh. The reason i have such a slow RAM stick there, is because the whole computer is mostly cobbled together from spare parts.
Leftovers from when i switched to the computer in my sig.
i'm just wondering if the extra 256Mb is worth slowing down the whole system to 266FSB
Oh yeah, the CPU is a 333FSB, so the question is really 256Mb 333Mhz vs 512Mb 266Mhz

Zero Shift said:
heh. The reason i have such a slow RAM stick there, is because the whole computer is mostly cobbled together from spare parts.
Leftovers from when i switched to the computer in my sig.
i'm just wondering if the extra 256Mb is worth slowing down the whole system to 266FSB
Oh yeah, the CPU is a 333FSB, so the question is really 256Mb 333Mhz vs 512Mb 266Mhz

Having mismatched stick speed like that will seriously kill performance. I suggest, for now, taking that slower stick out.

Also, looks like you need a video card (or lack there of) upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom