FSB Running at 200 Mhz... Safe to bump up to 400 Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
As you can see in my specs, my hardware has the potential to reach 1600 Mhz FSB. In the BIOS... By default it is running at 200 Mhz (200x4 = 800). So it is now at 800 Mhz.

I am supposed to have 1600 Mhz, so would it be safe to change it from 200 Mhz to 400 Mhz (400x4 = 1600) in the BIOS. I know that my memory can support it (Corsair guarantes it for life to be clockable to 500 Mhz).

In a previous post, I was told that when Win64 comes out, it will double. So what does that mean? Will it be a 800 Mhz FSB running at the speed of 1600 Mhz? Or will it ACTUALLY say 1600 Mhz???

Plus, why would it be at 800 Mhz by default, when the CPU and MOBO are 1600 Mhz? I am pretty confused about this. Thx for taking the time guys, I appreciate it.

what?... you can't have a fsb of 1600.. that's impossible.. and unless the 64bits run differently, it'd be 200x2 = 400mhz fsb...
and win64? you mean windows 2003? well lemme know when it comes out lol anyways.. the corsair ram being able to withstand 500mhz fsb is the total fsb of your system.. since i have a 400fsb system, the ram i have is perfect for it ddr400

Wow! :wooha:... You are WAY OFF!

First of all, EVERY AMD64 CPU has a 1600 Mhz FSB that theoreticaly can reach 2000 Mhz. Along with the motherboards for the 754/939/940. Secondly... Win64 as in Windows XP (64-bit) and Longhorne. Windows 2003... lol... That is for hosting servers, etc. And third of all, the memory is 400 Mhz (PC3200) and is guaranteed to clock to 500 Mhz! I don't know where u got a 500 Mhz FSB from!?!?

Anyone familiar with todays technology that can help me out here? Thx for your time.

wait a second.. you're running in 32bit.. you can't get to 1600fsb in 32 bit.. If you change over to 64b it should double that any you'll get your 1600 =) I wouldn't recommend pushing your fsb to 400, I might turn your cpu to smoke lol
And win xp 64b is already out.. why are you asking when a 64b os will come out? longhorn is way off.. probably not till 2007 sometime

sorry for that post.. i must have been on crack, i just got home from work and was tired and made one post.. that one haha *coughs* please disregard, anyways after a nice nap.. I know this info ^ is correct.

lol!... I know... Plz don't take it the wrong way... I was just messing around! ;)

I know that the Windows XP (64-bit) Beta has been released. I haven't downloaded it due to most h/w manufacturers who haven't released 64-bit compatible drivers yet. I know ATI has...

Anyways, this beta... Would you happen to know if it was stable or not? Any known bugs?

And for the FSB... When Windows starts using my chip to its full potential (64-bit), will the FSB still be recognized as 800 Mhz and just running at 1600 Mhz? Or will it actually clock it has 1600 Mhz (400 Mhz) in the BIOS?

Thx for your time Demalii.

P.S.: Is it actually going to be that long until Longhorne is released? Damn... That is quite far!

yea like you will have a full fsb of 1600, and please, knock me down when i act like an idiot, cheers to you agex and at the beginning, microsoft said longhorn would be out in 2006, but with the way it's coming... people are saying 2007

Alright... Thx Demalii, and everyone else for taking the time to responded. I appreciate it.

I am absolutely positive that my mobo supports the full 1600 Mhz. It also says it all over the box! :D

So when I install a 64-bit platform... Will the BIOS detect and run the FSB at 1600 Mhz? Or do I have to manually set it?

And does anyone know about the Windows XP 64-bit Beta that has been released (i don't even know if it is still in beta stages or not).

The technician I just spoke to on the phone told me that it is running at 1600 Mhz FSB right now. 800 Mhz for the CPU... And 800 Mhz to the RAM. But it says it is clocked at 200 Mhz (800 Mhz FSB) in the BIOS.

What I am asking is why does it say 200 Mhz in the BIOS if the FSB is running at 1600 Mhz.

Shouldn't it say 400 Mhz???

Hey man, because you arent using the 64-Bit version of XP. I have the same stuff as you but my mobo is an Asus (same chipset). Like i said i think it is cause you dont have the 64-Bit OS update down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom