FSB and Memory Frequency in Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm thats strange it would be doing that. Are you 100% sure you have the jumpers set correctly? The bios should show the fsb and multiplier that you have the jumper set to by default. If you do have it set correctly its possible that you might have a faulty mobo?

This is the only thing I can think of that makes sense. I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you many intelligent people here on these forums. Hope you get it all fixed good luck and post back if you're still having problems!

Wensicia - thanks for the reply. I have double-and triple-checked the jumper setting and it seems to be correct. It could be, though, that the manual is wrong. Been known to happen. I guess I can set the jumper to the 2&3 pins and reboot, then check. Can't think of what else to do at this point.

ag3 - thanks for being patient. Yes, I read your first post. The default without taouching anything is:

CPU External - 100mhz
Memory Freq = auto

It's when I try and change the CPU External clock to 200mhz that I have a problem. There does not seem to be a way to set the memory freq (which I assume is the other "clock) to which you refer) manually. The options available are Auto and By SPD.

Thanks again for your help.

It might be the quality of your RAM. It might not be able to perform at the rated 400Mhz, try underclocking your memory. You might have to set system performance to aggressive or user defined before you can tweak the memory frequency

CPU External freq= 200
CPU Frq Multiple = 11x
System Performance - aggressive or user defined
Memory Frequency = try 75%,80%, or by spd

well if you have the Athlon 3200+ XP processor, then your CPU External clock needs to be set at 200MHz, you're getting confused in your manual when it says multiply it by two. They are referring to the RAM, so basically your RAM is running at 200MHz when the CPU External is set to 100. Set your CPU External to 200MHz, look around and see if there is a multiplier option. It should be right below the CPU External Frequency option or atleast near it. If you don't see a multiplier option, then your BIOS simply doesn't have that option. All in all your CPU External needs to be set to 200MHz and the multi should default to 11 to give you 11x200 = 2.2GHz which is exactly what a 3200+ chip should be.

If your only settings for memory are AUTO or By SPD then put it on By SPD and that basically means it'll adjust the memory to the speed of the CPU or atleast attempt to. That should hopefully give you a 1:1 ratio with your CPU and RAM, assuming you have PC3200 RAM. You see the PC3200 RAM is 400MHz, and by settings your CPU External to 200MHz that's where you multiply the double data rate. 200x2 = 400MHz RAM.

So make sure your Vcore is at it's default 1.65, check for a multiplier to be set at 11 and make your CPU External 200. THen change the memory timings to By SPD and that should clock them together.

If you see the options under RAM Timings for the frequency that say (133,166,200) then you want to set it to 200 because 200x2 = 400MHz, some BIOS's will show you the Frequency after it's already been multiplied meaning instead of seeing the options I just showed you you'd see the options (266,333,400) so basically so you know 133=266, 166=333, 200=400 when it comes to RAM timings. Hope this cleared somethin up for ya

Never a problem, Starcat! :)

You should not have any trouble with your CPU's external clock set to 200 Mhz and the RAM set to 100 Mhz.

Keep me updated.

Nubius - great summary of the info, thanks. And thanks to ag3 for all your help. I have once more tried changing the settings in the bios per your instructions, and it's a big negatory. UT2004 freezes almost immediately after loading, and I get a GPF with a message about the 3D Render device , the game engine and the windows viewport.

I am now going to open 'er up and check the jumper. Manual says jumper should be on pins 1&2 for 400mhz FSB operations, and that's where it seems to be, but the manual also says that if that jumper is set correctly, the system should recognize it and boot automatically to the proper settings. It doesn't. So, I'm going to make sure the jumper is seated correctly and/or set the jumper to pins 2&3, in the event the manual or my reading of it and the diagrams are wrong.

Will let y'all know, and thanks again for all your help. Man, I learn something everytime I log on! It's a beautiful thing.

Ok, quick update. Changed the position of the jumper to pins 2&3. Set the CPU External freq to 200, multiplier 11 and the Memory Freq to By SPD. Booted up OK, ran UT2004 for a few minutes, then it crashed again. Something's definitely not right.

Seems to me that the FSB setting and jumper is separate from the CPU external and memory freq settings, so that regardless of where the jumper is (at 200 mhz fsb or 133.266/400 fsb) I should still be able to get it to run at the right cpu speed and memory freq. I'm wondering now if a) I need a bios upgrade 2) I have bad memory or under-powered memory, or 3) the mobo is bad.

Going to check on the Asus site for the bios, and run memtest, then we'll see. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom