Fsb....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
My motherboard came with a program called core center and it tells you stuff like cpu temp, fan speeds, etc. and it also tells you the FB of the processor. Well I have an athlon 64 3000+ and it is only at 200mhz right now. Where it shows the FSB it also has + and - buttons so you can raise or lower it. How high should I put it?

200 is where it SHOULD be. if you want to overclock just increase the FSB slowly (about 1-5Mhz at a time) and run a few tests on it to makes sure everytyhing is stable. After about every 10-15 i would do something intensive for about half an hour to make sure that it isnt overheating

then whats the point of advertising 800mhz FSB when it only operates at say . . . 200?

crap, i didnt see the 64. lol. im not sure since i have never used a 64 chip. it is rated at 800Mhz though, so im guessing you should set it to that in the bios.

isnt it like a quadro something technology, its 200 fbsx4 so its were its suposed to be maybe. Raising it at 800 will blow ur pc up.. thats insane. imagine like a 15 multiplyer and 800 fsb... crasy sh*t man. Thats futer pc

koldapu said:
then whats the point of advertising 800mhz FSB when it only operates at say . . . 200?

The system multiplier is 4. Therefore, you have a 800 Mhz FSB. (200 Mhz x4 = 800 Mhz).

If your motherboard supports the full 1600 Mhz (FSB) of the Athlon64, do not raise it to 400 Mhz (400 Mhz x4 = 1600 Mhz) as you will burn something out.

Even though the FSB is clocked at 800 Mhz, it will be running as if it were 1600 Mhz (when the a 64-bit o/s is released) because it will be processing double the data. Since the amount of bits that are processed per clock cycle have no impact on the actual frequency of the FSB, it will still say 800 Mhz (even though it is processing at the speed of 1600 Mhz).

Keep in mind that your mobo must be capable of 1600 Mhz (FSB) to have the full advantage.

hmm interesting, so having a 64 bit os would make the proc way more performant. thats real cool, hehe. And real nice explanation about the 200 fbs with 4x multiplyer, thats what i was trying to say, but wouldnt get out of my mouth correctly, ;)

I am going to try to explain it better...

The CPU sends 32 ones and zeros per clock cycle, which is transported at 800 Mhz.

When the CPU is processing at 64-bit, it will send 64 ones and zeros per clock cycle at 800 Mhz. Considering in the end it will be transporting double the data, they say that it is transporting as if it were 1600 Mhz. However, the actual frequency is still 800 Mhz.

I don't know if I was able to clear this up more... If you have any questions, just let me know! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom