Frying by Overclocking VGA - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2004, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Default Frying by Overclocking VGA

what are the chances of frying your VGA card because most OC'ing articles about OC'ing VGA cards say that there really is no danger. If you slowly make the increments and use the TEST NEW SETTINGS buttons you'll be fine because at worst you'll see white spots appear in the screen or your system will reboot and then default settings will be brought back. So would anyone be able to estimate the likelyhood of burning one out. Anyone ever done it? I might try it with the eVGA GeForce 6800 128mb card I get because I just read another forum post saying the eVGA brand has the same heatsinks on all the cards which I saw the pictures of and says he oc'd his 6800 gt 256mb to ultra settings, I don't want quite that but I little boost couldn't hurt. Should I be weary of frying that cause I don't want to be out that much cash =)

Old 08-18-2004, 02:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

just be careful and you should be ok

<SMALL><font color=\"blue\">Desktop
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester @ 2000MHz
MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4 Ultra
ThermalTake Tsunami Dream Black w/ Side Window
Antec Neopower 480W
Maxtor 250GB SATA + Seagate 200GB SATA
Patriot 2GB (2x1024) PC3200
Dell 2005FPw 20.1\" Widescreen LCD
ATi Radeon x800XT
Old 08-18-2004, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

well there's always that danger.. I've heard that you wouldn't really hurt a video card just by pushing it.. it's the same theory that when you overclock a cpu, it's not pushing it harder that shortens the life, it's giving it more voltage that'll shorten it's life span. So if you push your card too much, you probably won't get a picture at all and it'll reset, or you'll get artifacts in your gameplay, or your desktop will be messed up..
Old 08-18-2004, 04:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to 72montecarlo Send a message via Yahoo to 72montecarlo

All the newer graphics cards especially the 6800 in question has software built into the card that prevents you from burning it out. if the cpu reaches what the card believes to be unsafe temperatues the card will underclock it self some or back to original settings.
Closed Thread