Front panel connector hell - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Front panel connector hell

Well basically, I'm upgrading from an Intel Celeron 466 mhz Legend QDI motherboard to a Foxconn 600 Series fitted with a 2.8 sempron processor. All ribbons are connected properly as far as I can see but when the power switch is pressed, nothing happens. No noise, no sound, not even a light on the motherboard as was usually the case with other people's similar problems. I needn't say it, but yes; the power is on. The only thing i can think is the problem is the front panel connectors. The Reset SW, Power SW and HDD LED all connect fine, as per the manual, but the remaining connector (Power LED) seems out of place. On the motherboard, the Power LED has two male connectors assigned to it (via a square bracket grouping the two pins), but the actual connector has 3 female pins. I have heard different views, some saying that this doesnt matter and all that is required to turn the PC on is the Power SW, but also I have heard that a circuit must be made for the computer to function.
Please help, this is extremely aggrivating

Old 12-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Well in the case of the front panel, your motherboards manual is your best friend in this situation because every model is slightly different. Another thing it could be is if you havnt put the motherboard in correctly and the motherboard is shorting out on the case. Other than that, it could be faulty, and you can take it back for a replacement.
Wayne

Old 12-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you, but I've checked the manual and actually have resized the 3-pin plug to a 2-pin plug to make it fit, which has made no difference at all. After some continuity testing, I've realised that very little, if any, power from the mains is getting into the computer (fromt testing the main "vein" to the motherboard). However, if it is a motherboard problem, then if the motherboard has any influence on this power supply, the reading would be affected. Does anyone know what influence the motherboard has on the main power supply? I wouldnt have thought it had any, but these things have surprised me too many times. Also, if it is a shorting-out on the case problem, how would I go about checking whether this is the case?
thank you!
Old 12-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Not wanting to double post, but I think now that I have tested it with my old motherboard (which was working perfectly not 3 hours ago) and gotten the same results that it is a power supply problem. Are there any common, easily fixable problems revolving around the power supply? (sorry, im an optimist)
Old 12-26-2004, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

There is but it requires some soldering and testing with a multimeter. Do no leave the power supply plugged into an outlet when you do. You will want an experienced electrician to help you with fixing it. executioner3211 the best thing to do is replace the power supply.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have replaced the power supply and all is working fine now thank you all very much.

Closed Thread