Fried RAM... I Think

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjers_43

Beta member
Ok, so i was looking to buy some new RAM for my computer, first step for me was to find out what kind of RAM it was that i would be needing.. Ok, after this quick look i put the RAM back in place in the slot and turn on my computer.. AND.... Nothing.. The monitor is not receiving a signal, and the computer does not make its usual start up noises it just turns on. After, making sure that i had not installed incorrectly i turn on my PC to hear a long beep.

Whats going on??

Ive had to pull out my old computer just to access the internet.

Is it possibe that i installed it incorrectly which may have done something quite nasty to the card which resulted in it not working.

Also, by purchasing new RAM and installing it, all my problems shoud be gone shouldnt they??

Thanks..

So are you putting your new or old ram into your mobo? If its your new try the old stuff just because. If its your new ram.. Thats a beep your bios makes I know that, I think its the CMOS resetting or something- anyone know?

well all I can say is make sure the RAM slot is clean and so it can make a good connection. I actually had a piece of hair laying across the RAM slot and when I sat it in there it somehow prevented the system from booting.

Other than that it'd be pretty difficult to 'fry' RAM just by taking it out unless you were playing football with it in a highly static charged area :p

If the RAM is infact dead then yeah of course replacing it would fix your problems but it seems ridiculous it'd stop working simply from pulling it out.

It's kind of hard to install it incorrectly because it can only really fit in one way. Still might as well pull it out, give it a nice blow with canned air if you got it and see if that works for whatever reason.

Possibly the simplest thing would be to take out the memory module and reseat it using as much pressure as needed to allow the white clips to come up on their own. You should never help the white clips into the notchs on the memory. Since the motherboard gives a long beep, the motherboard is not dead. Try pushing harder to seat it better.

Yes some ram is hard to get in, and It may not feel right but you just hafta kinda force it until those little white clips clip in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom