Fresh install on new HDDs, yet new system (with same HDD) on the way. Work? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Fresh install on new HDDs, yet new system (with same HDD) on the way. Work?

Long story short...

I bought new SATA drives for my current computer.

After, I decided to upgrade the rest.

I have a fresh install of XP Pro + Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.

If I take those hard drives out of my socket 939 AMD single core 3000+ MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum motherboard system, and plop them in my new system which is an ASUS Pro P43 LGA775 Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33ghz system, would they run, or would I have to do fresh installs?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Fresh install on new HDDs, yet new system (with same HDD) on the way. Work?

You would have to do a repair install of the operating system once connected to the new hardware. For XP you wouldn't be able to boot because it creates hardware profiles of all the components on your system, so if you move a hardrive with an OS from one computer to another, you need to do a repair install of the OS for it to renew the registry keys and work on that new system.

I don't know what you'd have to do for Ubuntu.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Re: Fresh install on new HDDs, yet new system (with same HDD) on the way. Work?

Good thing all I did was install XP, log out, log in Ubuntu, and install a few programs. I haven't done anything major yet. In fact, XP doesn't have any drivers installed, so I'll just work with it after I do a fresh install next week.

I figured I would have... I mean I clone systems all day long, and I always have to match up hardware. But I'm also working with IDE systems and not that many SATAs. So when I clone, the cloned drives are going in the exact same model computer because that's what I have to work with. I never mixed and matched to find out the hard way or not.
Closed Thread