Frequent installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arvedui78

Solid State Member
Hi all!
I have just registered to this forum and have a problem. If anyone could help me out I will be very grateful.
The problem is: whenever I install a game, I usually have to try several times before succeeding. The last time I installed a certain game, I had to try 10 times.
Just now I was installing another game and (as usual) I got an error. I wrote down the error message:
"A problem occurred when trying to transfer the file '(file name with respective path)' from the media.
Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?
Retry Cancel"
I used to believe that these errors were caused by the fact that I had an old and malfunctioning media device, but I was wrong, because I got a new DVD/CD-Rom combo and the problem persists.
My bet now is that I have an old driver for this hardware, but I could just as easily be wrong again. But I will try to get an updated driver, anyway, and tell you guys what happened. If you need to know anything about my system, please ask. I have an Athlon of 958 MHz and 512 MB of RAM.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Ivan

PS I'm sorry if this is the wrong subforum to post, but I wasn't sure.

I would've said the same thing that it was your DVD combo drive. Yes, try getting the driver update and delete your DVD Rom and refresh in Device Manager.

Thank you, TRDCorolla1.
How do I get the driver update? In the device manager, it says that my DVD/CD-ROM driver is a "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B" and that the provider is Microsoft. I tried clicking on update driver, but it asked me to insert the CD that came with the hardware. I don't know if I have this CD anymore. I also tried going to www.microsoft.com and finding this driver, or any DVD/CD-ROM driver download, but was unsuccessful. How do I go about it? Thanks.

Ivan.

OK, I know I have the most updated version of the driver. Just to be sure I have reinstalled it. But the problem persists. I just now tried to install a game and in the first CD I got the same error message. No matter how many times I hit the retry button, it just doesn't work. I know it's not a problem with the media because this happens with all programs that I try to install, at different times during their respective installation.
I just recently installed the service pack 2 and I hoped this would solve my problems, as someone said that my installation problems might be caused by the lack of SP2, but that didn't happen, I still have trouble installing programs.
I fear now that the problem might be caused by malfunctioning hardware. I don't know, could it be the HD?

Could be an OS problem, I dont know about the sp2 thing, people were installing games just fine before it came out right?

So, if it is an OS problem, what do I do? I have recently reinstalled windows XP and reformatted all of my hard disk. Anyway, I did manage to install my game at last, but that doesn't mean that my problem is solved, since I had to try many times.

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom