Freezing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milc

Beta member
My computer seems to freeze every 5 seconds. It seems to only happen after being in standby for a while. I run WinXP. It is a preassembled computer by HP. The only way I have been able to fix this is by shutting down, reseating the power connector (don't ask me why).

Tried installing Video drivers and mouse/keyboard drivers....no help.

Any suggestions to keep this from happening, other than not letting it go into standby mode? (It is set up to wait for 25 min now, but don't like the monitor to stay on for so long without use).

standby mode suspends your entire computer as well as monitor. you can suspend your monitor separately from standby mode. a way to fix your problem is set monitor to turn off without using system standby mode.

if you want to shut down computer just shutdown the computer entirely. go to your power scheme options and set

standby: never

turn off monitor: set as long as you wish, 20 minutes is a good number.

you may want to set your screensaver to: none, but it really should not matter since your monitor will go into standby mode. you can physically turn off your monitor without turning off your computer so don't be afraid to press power button on monitor to turn it off completely. you will not damage anything.

Okay...
I turned off all standby modes, left screensaver on and left computer on overnight. Problem still occured. I guess it is not standby mode that is doing it...must just be sitting there not doing anything that does it.

Also, I found out that simply just shutting it down and unplugging it from the power strip can fix the problem...I don't have to disconnect plug from case.

Any other ideas?

apokalipse said:
might be an overheating problem perhaps
Hmmm. That may be. Have you checked the Heat Sink and Fan (seated properly and fan working)? Did you replace or remove that recently?

The computer is brand new. Sounds like the fan is working. Do not think it is overheating, but not sure on how to check it either. We have the computer in a desk, but there is no backing to the desk and we leave the front door to it open when the computer is on.

i have an hp pavillion and when i put my monitor in standby, it freezes too......but all I have to do is turn the comp off then turn it back on (It might be an hp thing)

You can check your cpu's temperature by going into BIOs and looking at pc health status, but if it was getting dangerously overheated you would hear an alarm (if you have it set to sound when the cpu reaches a certain temperature).

If the machine is new there shouldn't be a problem with the RAM but check for compatibility with other components. Look at power supplies mainly because if one component hasn't got enough it will cause a machine to hang.

Good luck

My brother had a hp p3 700 - worst machine ive ever seen. It would work for about 30 min and then just reboot by itself. The good news is thought i found out how to fix the problem..unplug it...take the case off...get the motherboard out.....break it over your knee : ) Seriously though the only way i found out how to fix it is to buy a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom