Freezing has gone too far this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuct

Solid State Member
So I completely reformated my hard drive because I thought there was a hardware issue that would cause my system to lockup. Well, it froze at least 4 times during the reformatting process so I put this household fan in front of it. Solved it...for the time being.

I clean installed XP Pro and then, yes, it froze 3 times during. I got really far and only about 10 minutes left and it freezes again. My computer is rather cool and not even close to overheating but it still freezes.

Can anyone at all in this world tell me what the hell is wrong with my computer and it's life of lockups?

What are your system specs? All those lockups, it might be bad ram. How hot is the cpu running when you look in the bios? That will tell you if it is over heating. Do you have enough power from your psu?'

EDIT:

You said you remormated it because you had problems with it freezing before. Have you tried running fdisk to delete the primary partition, then create a new one and load everything up on that. It might be a bad sector on the partition.

It's an older Gateway that runs better than a few new computers my friends have minus the locking up. I can't really check the BIOS cuz it even freezes when I look at that sometimes. I have a 450watt PSU that's brand new I got about two weeks or so ago. A P4, 1.3ghz, 46G hd, 256 MB RAM....

EDIT: Yeah, I started off fresh with a new partition and everything. It's all started from scratch basically.

THe psu is enough for all of that. It might be a ram issue. See if you can get it to run memtest86. Google that to download the software. Are there any bios beeps or something?

I've been trying to install XP Pro again...if it freezes once more I'll tell you.

Well it fully installed no problems second time around, but I'm still completely certain it'll freeze. I'm pretty sure it has to be it overheating or RAM or something like that....right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom