Freezing in games - Im going mad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalky

Baseband Member
Please help,
i have this re-occuring problem with my PC.I can use my PC for hours on IE and desktop with no problems but every time i play a game after about 10 mins of play my pc freezes and the only way out is a hard reset of computer.

I have searched the forums for weeks now to no avail.

At first i thought it may be a RAM problem and as i was due a upgrade to some quality stuff i bought some (2x 512MB TwinX XMS Corsair) unfortunately this did not do the trick.

Next i thought it could be a heating problem so i bought an extra fan for case and bought an Aero 7+ for CPU and a Arctic VGA Silencer cooler Rev 3 for Radeon 9700 Pro card i have. Got CPU temp down to 32C and case to 32C too. Again the games freeze after 15 mins or so. So cooling aint my problem.

Next was the PSU, upgraded from 350W to 550W, still problem is there!

I have altered memory timings, increased bios aperture from 128MB to 256MB, increased voltage supplied to RAM and GPU, ran AdAware and Bazooka with latest updates, tried just one stick of RAM in each slot, Formatted several times. Set bios to basic settings, cleared CMOS. And guess what, the games still freeze after playing for a while.

Just recently after installing GPU Cooler and Aero 7+ i have been able to play for half hour or so?? Weird!!

Please if anyone has any ideas i will be happy to try them.

Thanks

Chalky

Comp Spec:
XP Pro with Mc Affee Antivirus installed and SP1
2100+ AMD (~1743Mhz) with Aero 7+ Cooler
MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR mobo
1 GB RAM (2x 512MB TwinX XMS Corsair)
Radeon 9700 Pro with Arctic VGA Silencer Cooler
CD-R Drive
DVD Drive
Floppy Drive

i dont have any spyware i have used several progs and my comp is clean.
Already reformatted 2-3 times.

Arrghh its driving me insane.

Any other suggestions are v welcome.

chalky

have updated bios, will try updating nforce and ATI drivers in mornig and let you know what happens,
thanks
chalky

heres hoping!

Seems like youve tried everything except replacing your processor and video card. Seeing as the video card is where most gaming stuff occurs, i would try that first. If you have a friend with a compatible video card, just swap them and see if the same thing happens on his computer, and if its fixed on yours. If not try the processor.

I was hoping it wouldn't be GPU cos it cost me an arm and a leg at the time. (£250) Been thinkin of gettin new processor anyways AMD 3200+ Barton so will get that soon and just hope it solves it. if not looks like overtime at work for new Graphics Card.

Thanks for help

p.s. is there any programs out there that can test vid card for problems.??

chalky

I was hoping it wouldn't be GPU cos it cost me an arm and a leg at the time. (£250) Been thinkin of gettin new processor anyways AMD 3200+ Barton so will get that soon and just hope it solves it. if not looks like overtime at work for new Graphics Card.

Thanks for help

p.s. is there any programs out there that can test vid card for problems.??

chalky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom