FreeBSD web server question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
Hi! I'm back after a long time and I'm good. I need a setup. I got $300 to build a web server for a w web site that I need to host for a small project my Dad and family friends are working on. I'm most likely going to run FreeBSD on it. What system components would there be for a web server?

You can find the list of supported hardware here:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html

You may want to look at the dates of the manual pages for the hardware drivers listed. Older manual pages should mean earlier support for the item, which should mean more users familiar with the products. This, of course, means more people to help you should you need it.

how much bandwidth?

if its dsl/broadband or less you can build or buy used stuff for well under $100 to do that, probably $50 or less if you shop around,even a 8-10 yr old P100 system can easily handle the upload speeds of broadband

unless your going be running a very involved and serious CPU intensive database based website you wont need anything special for that at all, and old hardware usually works quite well with any of the BSD's or linux

64mb ram is plenty if its console only based admin on the server
ethernet card
cheap $5 vid card
small hard drive at least 500mb + however much server space you need

nothing special really

I'll probably use an older setup instead of a newer one. I might try for something mid-range. Probably one of the Socket A Thunderbird processors. I might try the older Athlon or Duron. It isn't something very intensive, I know it won't be. However, there will be a good amount of pictures and downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom