Four-way PCI-E X16 motherboard for Intel WITHOUT southbridge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I found this on TGDaily (formerly Tom's Hardware):

Gigabyte Technologies newest top-of-the-line motherboard, launched today, will support four simultaneous PCI-Express X16 slots, plus NVIDIA's nForce 4 SLI chipset. So if you've always wanted to hook up seven of your spare monitors, now there's a way. But when you look hard at one of the two editions of this decked-out dreamboat of a device, you'll find something actually missing: the southbridge.

It sounds like a luxury Ford sedan from the 1970s: the Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal. Based on information gleaned from Gigabyte's press release this morning, it appears the company will be attempting a novel solution on some - not all - Quad Royal models. Normally, NVIDIA's nForce 4 SLI Intel edition chipset is a two-chip contraption, whose northbridge and southbridge are joined using the HyperTransport memory technology that normally distinguishes AMD-supporting motherboards. This conventional configuration will apparently be available, according to Gigabyte. But as an alternative, Gigabyte will also be making available some models using the single-chip chipset normally used for NVIDIA's AMD-supportive option. In this configuration, the southbridge chip is eliminated, and its storage, networking, and USB support are all incorporated into the single chip, which routes them all together using HyperTransport.

quad-boardbig.jpg

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/11/11/gigabyte_releases_quad_royal_motherboard/

One more image... This puppy can drive up to TEN displays (WinXP's max)-
tendisplays.jpg

Don't they already have this one out for AMD?

yeah it's already been out for the AMD so this whole 'NO SOUTHBRIDGE!!' is old news

oh well, intel...quad SLI....both are stupid ideas

:p

WOW, that's ridiculous. I thought 2 GPUs was overkill already. This would be cool though to have 10 different displays. I wonder if you can put 10 19" LCDs together and make one giant screen.

Edit: 9 19"s for a total of 3840x3072 would be cool

Awesome idea, because most people around the globe always have a couple thousand extra dollars hefty for a couple new graphics cards, and the average person has 10 monitors.

p0werslave said:
Awesome idea, because most people around the globe always have a couple thousand extra dollars hefty for a couple new graphics cards, and the average person has 10 monitors.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom