Formatting vs Low Level Formatting (Zero Fill) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Formatting vs Low Level Formatting (Zero Fill)

I will be formatting my 110gb hardrive and have to decide what type of format to conduct.

Except for data recovery prevention does low-level formatting reap any other sort of benefits performance-wise or in terms of how much space is left on your hard drive?

I want to start a clean state, but if going with a low-level format will not be significantly different to a high-level format (apart from preventing data from being recovered) then I would rather carry out a high -level format (which is a lot faster).

Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Formatting vs Low Level Formatting (Zero Fill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xy122 View Post
I will be formatting my 110gb hardrive and have to decide what type of format to conduct.

Except for data recovery prevention does low-level formatting reap any other sort of benefits performance-wise or in terms of how much space is left on your hard drive?

I want to start a clean state, but if going with a low-level format will not be significantly different to a high-level format (apart from preventing data from being recovered) then I would rather carry out a high -level format (which is a lot faster).
Usually the only time low level formatting is used is at the manufacturer when the hard drive is prepared for sale. However, it is also sometimes used on older drives to correct read/write errors. Though generally as a rule low level formatting need never be done by anybody except the manufacturer.

Bare in mind that this is only my opinion and is in referance to my own knowledge and as such is not gospel. I am currently not a PC tech but am studying CompTIA A+ Certification.

Hope that helps some, if in doubt, google it
Closed Thread