format time! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Systems Engineer

Send a message via AIM to Crysalis
Default format time!

Hey guys. I've been given a computer to fix. Basically its INFESTED with viruses and spyware. The owner did not put ANY (and i mean ANY) form of virus protection or spyware protection on it since they bought it. Its a compaq presario (yes... i know... they didn't research too well), so you know how it goes with that. Anyways, its so bad that I really just need to format the HD. Since this isn't a custom PC, I wanted to see what the best way of going about this is. I've done it many times to my computer, but its a custom system. This compaq has its own boot up screen and crap, so i wasn't sure if formatting would harm something that couldn't be recovered.

Should I just do a format c: ? What do I need to do to get it to the point to install windows XP? Obviously I have to set it to boot from CD, but i mean system file wise. Do I need to to use the /s parameter when formatting to keep the system files (autoexec, config.sys, etc etc). Any help is appreciated... as usual!

thanks

Old 09-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

just stick the cd in and follow the directions on the screen. you wont lose anything, everything is on the cd. just do a darn reformat

Old 09-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Systems Engineer

i dont want to keep anything. Thats the problem... theres a virus on there that will NOT come off. It locks every scan program i put on it and can't reinstall them. Norton is screwed. I can't uninstall, reinstall, or install it.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Just pop the XP cd in and follow along.

Also, you can run a PC without spyware and virus protection if your smart, my Antivirus or spyware really hasnt done anything on my PC.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ-CHRIS
Just pop the XP cd in and follow along.
Make sure you set your BIOS setting to boot from CD first.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 09-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Systems Engineer

tried the XP CD. All i got was to use the system recovery, repair installation or exit. For system, recovery, i needed a disk i didn't have. I did do a fresh install of windows, but that isn't what i need. I need a blank hard drive. I'm just asking if i need anything to get XP to start installing before i wipe out the hard drive.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

when you boot from the CD, choose to Install Windows XP. It will then bring up the screen where you can install it over the exisiting partition or create a new parrtition. just delete the existing partition, create a new one, format it and then the install will proceed from there.

If you just want a blank hard drive, get a windows 98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com boot from it and type fdisk to delete and create your partitions, then reboot and type format c: to format them.

But your XP disc does the exact same thing as the boot disk will do, it just looks different.

A+ Certified

Studying for Network+
Closed Thread