floppy drive problems... please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyaynaldo

Beta member
Problem: floppy drive is not working...

Symptoms:
- drive is recognized in windows, but inserting a disk and clicking a: from explorer yeilds following: "please insert disk into drive a".
- from the command prompt, I type 'format a:' and I get the response: "the device is busy"
- the light on the drive is always on
- the drive never spins up no matter how I try to access it.
- the device manager shows no problems ('device is working properly'), and windows cannot find a better driver for it (its a basic TEAC drive)
- the driver listed is flpydisk.sys ver 5.1.2600.1106
- nothing in the bios setup tells that the drive is not recognized.

What I ahve tried:
- recabled, tried different cable, reversed cable connection to drive (mobo connection only fits one way)
- replaced with another floppy drive known to be working.

System:
- win xp pro
- asus p4p800 deluxe mobo
- kingston ram

I built the system myself this weekend, everthing else works great. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks!

I think i may wha tis wrong, i had this happen to my once before, but I am not sure if it applies to you. I know you said you tried to switch the cable, did try switching the power as well as the ribbon. I ask this because one time I hooked up the power cable backwards and the fdd light stayed on the time just you said yours is. If the is not it, then i would say new fdd time. Either way good luck.

I had the exact same problem. Just flip the floppy ribbon cable over, that worked for me, the actual cables themselves sometimes don't have the little notches taken out, the bump on the end that you're plugging into the cable should be facing down on the floppy. Also I had this happen to me awhile ago and the floppy was actually bad, and anothe problem could be that youhave the power lead upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom