Floppy drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I never use the floppy drive on my system but last night my wife needed something off a floppy disk so we put it in and it came up with 'this drive is not formatted'. We tried formatting it but it said it couldn't be formatted. We then tried another disk and it kinda got stuck in there, when we got it out the silver part on the floppy disk was hanging off. I'm thinking something is out of place in the drive - Windows XP says it's working fine though. The last time we used a floppy disk was a couple of months ago and it worked fine so I'm not sure what has caused this. It's not really a priority as we don't use the drive but do you think I could fix this myself, should I get it professionally repaired, or should I just buy a new floppy drive?

and getting it fixed costs atleast £30. Go to a small computer shop, you can get them for £1. That is how much they sell them for at my local pc shop.

If you want you could open it up yourself and see if there is something lose.

Thanks for your replies, yeah I was thinking I'd just get a new one - is it easy enough to take the old one out and put the new one in? Also, would there be much hassle in finding a compatible one with my system? Or does 'one size fit all' so to speak? As you can guess I'm not too up on floppy drives hehe.

they haven't changed it in any way, unless if you brought it off a company that built your pc (e.g. dell) than you might want to just check, but I don't think they would bother with something as small as a floppy drive.

Trifid said:
they haven't changed it in any way, unless if you brought it off a company that built your pc (e.g. dell) than you might want to just check, but I don't think they would bother with something as small as a floppy drive.

I bought it from Tiny(yeah I know I know - wouldn't ever do business with them again although this computer works great) - but I would think any drive would be compatible with this system wouldn't it? BTW thanks for your help.

Not worth repairing it as everyone has already said. When the metal cover on a floppy disk gets stuck or ripped off in a drive, its normally caused by the metal cover being slightly bent causing it to catch in the drive. You should be able to remove using a pair of tweezers. (Make sure it's powered off first of course).

If you can get it out, try another disk but make sure the disk is either new or test it on another system first. Also make sure the cover isn't bent at all.

It is quite possible your drive is knackered but that doesn't normally cause it to rip the cover of off disks unless it's physically damaged internally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom