Floppy drive help

Status
Not open for further replies.

contemptor

Baseband Member
I just got a used floppy drive and hooked it up. My computer doesn't recognize it as a drive. Is there something else I have to do, like in bios? Or do I need drivers?

(Also, why can't I edit my bios settings? Everything is gray almost like I can't change it, even shutoff temperature)

Have you connected the cable the correct way.

When your PC is on, see if the light is always on for your FDD, if it is, your cables on upside down. Also, make sure you have it connected to the correct FDD conector (on a ribbon cable there are three, two close together and one on its own. Single is for mobo, the connector without the twist is the A:\ connector).

As for your BIOS, remove the CMOS battery for about 5 mins and that should sort it.

contemptor said:
I just got a used floppy drive and hooked it up. My computer doesn't recognize it as a drive.

Can you explain what you mean by that? As long as primary floppy drive & FDD controller are enabled in the bios, the system will think its got a FDD attached even when it hasn't.

Is it the POST test or windows thats not seeing the drive?

Also, is this FDD a replacement for the original FDD or has your system not had a FDD in it before?

I've never had a floppy drive before in this pc, I built the computer in a class with assistance from a techie. Currently there is no drive showing up in my computer. You're saying that if it's enabled the system should see it as having a floppy drive even when it's not there? If so, we might have disabled it in bios, I really can't remember. Under drives in bios, it has 80 gig HD as first, 40 gig hd as third, cd burner as third, and then none as fourth.

"the connector without the twist is the A:\ connector)."

I'm not totally sure I did that, but let me check. However, if still no luck, how would I enable in it my bios? I have a version of phoenix bios, with a syntax motherboard. I'm really dumb about this stuff, but why can't I edit anything in my bios? I can view stuff, but most the stuff is gray instead of white, meaning I can't edit it. I can't even change the shutoff temperature or anything.

Are you positive that you have to have the non twisted end connected to the A drive? Currently the twisted end is connected to the A drive. However, the other end has the orange clips on the sides of it, which makes me pretty sure that's what should be connected to the MB.

Unless I'm wrong, how do I enable it in bios? I'm pretty sure that's it, because power is going to it (I got a green light when starting up). I went to install new hardware, floppy drive controller, and it said this device is working properly. However, I still can't open it via run or my computer.

Hi ya
The end of the floppy cable with the twist in, is the end that should be connected to the drive. Make sure that if the pins on the drive are marked with a '1' at one end, then the red stripe on the cable should be lined up with it.

If theres no markings & the floppy drive light stays on the whole time when PC is powered up, then the cable is the wrong way round (ie turn the cable so red stripe is on other side)

In the bios, there is normally 2 settings relating to floppys.
1- there should be entry that lets you enable/disable the floppy drive controller
2 - a entry thats lets you specify the actual floppy drive (normally primary & secondary drives)

Do you know what make & model the mobo is?

Syntax Sv400 I believe. For some reason in my bios everything almost is grayed out, and I can't seem to edit it. The power always stays on, but I can try putting the cable the other way. I just figured if the add drive recognized the floppy controller as working properly that it would be connected right.

Right, I've managed to get hold of the sv400 manual :
Go into the bios & see if you can do the following :

1. Advanced Bios setup
entry for 'boot up floppy seek' - this can normally be set to disabled but you may want to enable it to force the system to detect the floppy drive

2. Integrated Peripherals
Go to the entry marked VIA super IO device & press enter
go to Onboard FDC Controller & set this to [enabled]

3. Standard CMOS features
Under the HDD listings, theres an entry for Drive A and Drive B.
Drive A needs to read [1.4M 3.5in]
Drive B should be set to none

Save these changes & exit bios.
If the light on the front of the floppy drive is permanently on, the floppy cable is inserted the wrong way round. On the mobo, the cable should be inserted so that the edge with the red stripe is nearest the IDE connectors. If it is correctly inserted & drive light is still constantly on, disconnect cable from floppy drive & flip it round so red stripe is facing the other way.

If drive still isn't recognised, then check the rear of the drive for any jumpers - older floppy drives had jumpers to allow them to be set to primary or secondary floppy.
Failing that, test the floppy on another machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom