Floppy Disk Formatting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticRyu

Beta member
I have a floppy disk with pictures for my job on it. I have used this disk before, on the same computer, and it worked fine. Now, all of the sudden, it is telling me I need to format the disk. I don't want the files on the disk to be erased, so I don't want to format it. Are there any suggestions as to how I could access the files that are currently on the disk?

A few notes:
The disk is a normal, 3 1/2" floppy, maxell 2HD.
When I try to access the disk using the command prompt it reads "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."
It could easily be the computer itself that's the problem.
I could access another disk of the same brand that I had used for photographs before.

Thanks to everyone here :)
~Mystic

It may be worth trying the disk in a different drive in case your floppy drive is playing up, but to honest, it's mopre likely that the disk itself is the problem. I'm afraid floppies are notoriously unreliable & damage very easily. In future, if you have to rely on floppies for anything, make sure you have at least 2 backups made or backup the contents to a hard drive or CD.

There are programs around that can recover data from corrupted disks however. The link below is to one of these & it's freeware so worth a shot...

http://majorgeeks.com/download2623.html

Yes,I agree with Samm,floppys are unreliable and very sensitive.A small magnetcould wipe out all the data or corrupt it easy.Try it in another computer if the same problem then your data is lost.

What OS(or camera) were the Photos saved to the disk under?

sometimes Disks formatted under windows or macOS don't like to be interchanged

and anyway... if you have important documents... NEVER SAVE THE ONLY COPY TO A FLOPPY DISK!!!

Floppys are eaisily Corrupted and Damaged...

Whenever i move something important, i always save it to a CD (DVD if the comp has a DVD drive), plus my 128 USB flash drive. Lost important stuff with floppies before. aside from the memory issues, the disc itself is easily damaged. i once put one in my comp. pulled it out, and the metal slide didnt come out...had to spend the rest of the evening taking my floppy drive apart to get it out.

best way to move important stuff (i think) is with a USB flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom