flashing bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
is flashing your bios safe? ive heard that if you dont do it properly or if it hangs mid installation you can completly screw ur mobo. is there any risk involved at all if you have the correct bios version update?

As long as you got it from the manufacteur's website (of your mobo) it's safe, I do it a lot here at work with our older Dell machines and have not had 1 single problem. But yes, there is a risk if the power goes out or something like that, so don't do it during a thunderstorm :p

i have a dell. if the power does go out, or if the flash does hang, what exactly happens to ur mobo? can you just try again, or is it new mobo time? i have a dell mobo, so i will be able to be fairly sure that i have the correct bios version if i get it from the dell site, i suppose? also is updating bios nessessary, or should i only do it if i have problems?

Do you have a Dell system or just the mobo?
I personally, after doing 10 million times, have yet to see it hang with a Dell system. Basically what it does, it checks your BIOS version, erases it and then programs it to the new version. If it erases it and then hangs, you'll need to get a new mobo. Yes, if you get it from the Dell site (guessing you have a dell system, you can go here ) and enter your serial number (located on the back), you will be able to select the BIOS upgrade.

You need to back up your current bios to floppy!!!!!!!!!! Then go to the website for your mobo and use their auto update software. If the bios update fails you will simply get a check sum error at cmos boot and you can reinstall the original bios at that time. generally, it works without a hitch........DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR BIOS WITHOUT BACKING UP THE CURRENT BIOS TO FLOPPY DISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Or be prepared to update you computer with a new mobo and reinstall all your programs!!

The reason I failed to mention that is because Dell's BIOS update does that for you hehe

If the BIOS wipes itself before something is their, it's bye bye for the BIOS chip

Than you need to get another BIOS chip or motherboard

Ah, Dell. Just a matter of personal preference.....I'd perfer to have a stick in my groin than buy a Dell....but that's just me! :)

RicoDirenzo said:
Ah, Dell. Just a matter of personal preference.....I'd perfer to have a stick in my groin than buy a Dell....but that's just me! :)

Hmm... *weighs both of them carefully* that is a tough choice...

:freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom