Flashing the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Ok, I'm going to admit, this scares me. I've never updated a BIOS on any of my PC's, but after running Sandra I realize it could really improve performance. I just recently got over my "upgrade the motherboard driver" fear.

So my question, is this actually safe and reversable if something messes up? I want to do this on my second PC, it's a 2.1ghz P4 on an ABIT motherboard. I've heard some horror stories about incorrect flashes being used and no way to recover the system, in which case, I think a new chip was ordered. Any information would be helpful, if you have any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask.

hmm im sure if you check on abit's website and look for the model mobo you have theyll give you proer instructions on how to flash the bios

Actually it's not reversable, if the flash doesn't go as planned, your mobo will die in pain hehe. I've never had a problem flashing except the first time i did it.. *coughs* yea that's right, I was using the dos prompt in win 98 to do it...

Make sure you've put it onto a floppy and boot up from that to flash, or some companies now have a tool to do it in windows, but i say the floppy way is safer.

You can put the new Flash on a floppy to test it first? I hope Abit supports that function, would be a lot easier then killing my board or needing to buy a new chip. If something can get screwed up, I'm an expert at doing it =)

There are no major problems flashing your BIOS, just follow those simple rules:
1. Make sure you have the proper BIOS for your MOBO (double-check your MOBO)
2. Follow exactly the instructions given on the manufacturer's site for flashing (printing them is a good way)
3. Don't touch anything during the flash even when it shuts off on its own (again part of the instructions).

Most manufacturer's now have BIOS flash tools which can be done directly from windows and they remove all the hassles. Take the time to read EXACTLY how to do it before actually doing it, this may save you a lot of problems. As with anything, the trick is to take your time and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Actually, Abit has a decent program to update your bios from windows. So if you want to make sure you do it right, go to Abit-usa.com and find your mobo. The program used is called award flash. And if the new files mess up, you can download old ones off of the same site and rollback to that file using the same program. I have an Abit board myself (see sig below), and I think the program is pretty good. And if you have any Q's, feel free to post here or PM me.

I did, and you can do that as well and it always works,...but doing it through windows with a good program (like abit's) if safer for the average guy trying to update his pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom