Fixing a heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoned Ape

Solid State Member
The part of my heatsink that attaches to my mobo is slightly busted. I've done some light research on how to fix it and my best guess is either thermal tape or super glue. This is kind of hard to explain but if you did understand what I said what would be my best bet?

I think you should just replace it. It's very important for it to be seated correctly, and any fudging it will most likely end up disastrous. You could overheat the CPU and fry it and the mobo.

I'd say few mobo's actually "fry" from overheating nowadays. They all have failsafes where they shut the system down if the temp gets too high.

But I agree with oldskool, you should just replace it rather than try to "doctor" it up.

I'd say few mobo's actually "fry" from overheating nowadays. They all have failsafes where they shut the system down if the temp gets too high.

But I agree with oldskool, you should just replace it rather than try to "doctor" it up.

Carnage, what part of the system handles that shutdown ? Just curious as to how that works.

Yes, a sensor trips an alarm basically, and tells the computer to forcibly shut itself down because of high temperatures.

When did computers start getting this feature because mine when I had a heatsink issue didn't even shut down at 87c just bluescreened and restarted but never shut off entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom