First time builder: Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapOnARoap

Baseband Member
OK, so I've had my current computer for about 3 years, and things are starting to get a little old and crusty around here (not to mention that it's a Gateway and I'm a gamer :angry:.)

Anyway, after much consideration, I have decided that I want to build my own computer; however, I lack the experience that many of the seasoned veterans of this forum have. Here is a list of parts that I am considering using for my computer:

Case: ANTEC ALUMINUM SERIES SUPER LAN BOY MINI TOWER CASE

Mobo: ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU

Gpu: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

PSU: Aspire Turbo Case 520W 12V Blue Triple Fan Aluminum Power Supply

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+

RAM: Corsair Value Select Dual Kits 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-2700

HD: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card

Speakers: ALTEC LANSING 251 5.1 Amplified Speaker System

(Note: All from newegg.com, and total price comes to $1,135.48)

I am planning on using my current monitor, keyboard and mouse. Now, am I missing any parts? Are all these parts compatible? If not, any recommendations? Where could I find a book or tutorial on assembling a computer?

Any and all comments/answers are appreciated.

Very good, though I would recommend that if you can you might want to get DDR400 instead of DDR333:confused: Minor detail though:p

u may or maynot know, but ill mention a few anyway...

64 Athlon in socket 754 doesnt use duel channel.

3200+ 64 is going to come out in socket 939(compatable with Duel channel ram) twords the end of the year. and it will be cheeper.

so if u use the ram u have selected with 754socket 3200, it will not run in duel channel mode.

and u should get pc3200 ram to fully utilize your FSB(front side bus). i think thy cost the samething anyway.

and 'Western Digital' and 'Seagate' brand harddrives are recomended, more reliable.

If you game you could go with the Corsair XMS Series as that is very good for gaming, thats just a suggestion if you have the money, otherwise its still kickass RAM.

try to avoid Value ram . . . not that great . . .

and of course, pc-3200 instead of 2700 . . .

also, if you wait, you can get the 3500+ in 939 in a while for a bit cheaper . . .

Your computer is gonna friggin explode if you use cheap stuff:rolleyes: :p I know, because I had the cheap stuff;) RAM is pretty overrated unless you plan on OCing it:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom