First Dualie Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
On the desktop side, we are extremely excited about the Athlon 64 X2. The 4400+ we compared here today had no problem competing with and outperforming Intel's fastest dual core CPUs in most cases, and at a price of $581 the 4400+ is the more reasonably priced of the X2 CPUs.
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397&p=1

I know this topic is pretty well getting beaten to death, but this is the first real comprehensive comparison of both the Intel and AMD Dualies.

It seems the Pentium D is a bit dissapointing, and I'm actually suprised at the prices AMD was able maintain with their dual cores, especially considering the performance they offer. The 4400+ looks delicious (just when I thought I'd decided on a San Diego :().

Another little interesting tidbit is the fact that the 4000+ is the last single core Athlon 64 you'll see around, the Athlon 64s are migrating to the Athlon 64 X2 dualies, starting with the 4200+. The FX series will remain as the single threaded monsters though.

Reading the article now ;)

I suspect an FX-60 or something will migrate to dual cores......but either way I won't even be able to afford one for quite some time, nor are they really practical applications for me considering I want more gaming power than multitasking, but man if games start using multiple threads watch out!

The only thing I'd hope with that is that them being multi-threaded doesn't hinder single core CPU's but I doubt it since that'd be a bad move for game makers and a lot of people would be pissed......it should be ready for both and if you have dual core then it can also run on that more effectively.....anywho I'll be posting my thoughts after I read it ;)

Gaara - Way off topic but you might want to check this out:

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228

same friend who knows the DD dude linked me that, I'm thinking I might just buy my own core do the cold method and then perhaps just order a shroud from weapon ;) seems easy enough

Will we be able to replace our existing processors with the new dual core? Or wil an entire system upgrade be involved?

Existing socket 939 boards will work with Athlon X2 processors with a BIOS flash, the same is said for the socket 940 boards and Opteron dualies.

The only thing I'd hope with that is that them being multi-threaded doesn't hinder single core CPU's but I doubt it since that'd be a bad move for game makers and a lot of people would be pissed......it should be ready for both and if you have dual core then it can also run on that more effectively.....anywho I'll be posting my thoughts after I read it
Yes, I'm also a horsepower processor guy and want speed over multitasking. I'm confident that the 4000+ San Diego will start to slip in price once these come out so that seems like a good option as its basically like a low end FX processor at stock speeds, and I'm not interested in stock speeds. :D

Dual cores will only be considered if they're priced competetively with single cores.

Gaara - Way off topic but you might want to check this out:

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228

same friend who knows the DD dude linked me that, I'm thinking I might just buy my own core do the cold method and then perhaps just order a shroud from weapon seems easy enough
Now that seems like something I'd feel capable and a lot more comfortable in doing, especially after reading it. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to stretch the 1?2" tubing over the 5/8" barbs as is done with the weaponcore, so I may even be able to get away with even less modding. I'll have a talk with someone who's had a lot of experience with modding tomorow and see what he thinks about the idea.

TonCrafter said:
Will we be able to replace our existing processors with the new dual core? Or wil an entire system upgrade be involved?

Just a BIOS update, existing mobo's should work,OS is another issue entirely, if your a windows user dual core wont be as much of an upgrade performance wise compared to some others.Typically all else being equal a second processor only yields at best another 90% worth of performance, and thats very much OS dependent and what apps your running.This tech is still in its early stages yet, very few apps are even 64 bit yet, and even fewer are multithreaded unless your into high end video encoding or server apps.

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to stretch the 1?2" tubing over the 5/8" barbs as is done with the weaponcore, so I may even be able to get away with even less modding.
Yeah, he puts those 5/8" barbs and basically I heard the way to do it is to use warm water, put the tube end under that a little bit so it gets heated up and then slip it on over.....of course I checked with an auto parts store:

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/n...tail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=28542044&prmenbr=5806

says the inlet is 5/8" and the outlet is 3/4" lol, so I think just to keep everything smooth it'd be best to to get the ends like they suggest so you can have both the same size because 3/4" is quite large

I'm considering going and picking one up today. At roughly $24 and a shroud being $28 and for me it's shipping would be $13, that'd mean $64 opposed to $88.50 for a 'weaponcore (kind of)' and shroud :D

Anywho back on topic...this is why I love AMD:

While it may not please motherboard manufacturers to lengthen upgrade cycles like this, we have never seen a CPU manufacturer take care of their users like this before.

Bam! And that's what it's all about. Just like they go out of their way to fix 'cold bugs' in which probably less than 1% of their buyers would even ever have a problem with, AMD is great like that :D

Those tests are crazy though, that dual opteron freakin owns most of the tests. The few where intel is ahead is barely marginal and on top of that it's dual opterons going against quad xeons lol. That dual core is definitely looking up to be quite the dominator

Just a BIOS update, existing mobo's should work,OS is another issue entirely, if your a windows user dual core wont be as much of an upgrade performance wise compared to some others.Typically all else being equal a second processor only yields at best another 90% worth of performance, and thats very much OS dependent and what apps your running.This tech is still in its early stages yet, very few apps are even 64 bit yet, and even fewer are multithreaded unless your into high end video encoding or server apps.
Yeah but win64 is supposed to smooth all that out......keyword 'Supposed' lol

That is if they include a FULL VERSION OF MSN 9.0 ON THERE FOR ME IN THE FINAL VERSION!!!! Damned idiots think that every one has DSL and dont include full version software.....

Yeah, he puts those 5/8" barbs and basically I heard the way to do it is to use warm water, put the tube end under that a little bit so it gets heated up and then slip it on over.....of course I checked with an auto parts store:
Hmm, it seems if I buy a heatercore with both the barbs being 5/8" I won't have to do any modding as the article only seems to say they need to reduce the fittings to 1/2" which I wouldn't need to do. Apart from a paint job which is easy as pie this idea looks like it requires almost no work and is quite cost effective.

I'm particularily liking this idea as I can use two and dedicate one to each loop, and with the money I save from this I'll have more than enough money left over to buy a 2nd pump. The hardest thing to do at this point seems to be finding the actual heatercore. :D

Anywho, I'm also suprised they have variety in their dual cores with cache size ranging from 512KB to 1MB. I would have thought they would have made the switch to 1MB entirely but they're still trying to keep cost in mind I guess which is pretty cool.

Also interesting how they've kept their higher clock speeds with their dualies, but Intel has basically dropped down close to 1GHz.

Hmm, it seems if I buy a heatercore with both the barbs being 5/8" I won't have to do any modding as the article only seems to say they need to reduce the fittings to 1/2" which I wouldn't need to do. Apart from a paint job which is easy as pie this idea looks like it requires almost no work and is quite cost effective
Well I actually still wanted to get female and male ends to put on 5/8" barbs just to ensure it'll make a better connection with the hose...I mean it's already stretched, but the barbs kind of flare out, and then go back in where you'd be the clamp on to really make sure the things wrap around and seal good.

I actually just got back home from picking my heatercore up :D I'll get some pics and PM em to ya.

The inlet barb says 5/8" and the outlet says 3/4" BUT, the tubing itself is only 5/8" because that outlet barb has an extra amount of copper at the end that flares out to be the 3/4" so once I cut em down, bam! I got 5/8" ;)

Damned idiots think that every one has DSL and dont include full version software.....
They have to appeal to the bigger market. A lot of people have broadband now-a-days and I find it more of a rarity for people to have 56k than broadband really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom