First built pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrrad

Beta member
I am considering building a pc and I have never done that before and have a couple of questons.

1: How do 64 bit processors compare with 32 bit in terms of cost and performance.
2: If I do get a 64 bit processor, will I be able to install Win XP (for 32 bit computers)?
3: I know about newegg.com, but what are some other sites?
4: Do I have to have a video card or is there something "built in" to handle this?
5: Whats a cost effective video card?
6: Do motherboards come with processors on them?
7: Will I need cables? Soldering gun? Anything else I might forget?

Also, any suggestions on what I should put in my computer on a tight budget? (Hopefully less than $600) I don't need to buy (I will get from old computer or from friends who have extra stuff or just dont want):

(OS) Win XP
Computer speakers
Monitor
Keyboard or Mouse
Network adapter
Dial up modem
Computer Case

So basically just the stuff inside the computer case.
Thanks.

In regards to your first questions, you're going to get a lot of different answers from different people.

In my opinion AMD 64s are the overall fastest proccesors out there right now. They are faster in gaming applications for a fact, although they do trail behind P4s in other benchmarks. They should suit your needs though unless you are doing running some serious proccesor devouring programs.

Yes, you can install XP without any problems on AMD 64s.

I've never bought anything online before, so I really wouldn't know. It's always best to see what other costumers think of the site before buying from it, but newegg is good, I know that for a fact.

Depends, some motherboards do have built in video cards, but they probably won't be very comparable to any AGP or PCI Express cards out there. Also, motherboards with built in video will probably be a bit more costly.

Again, you're going to get some different answers here. I'd recommend either the Radeon 9800 Pro or the 9600XT, or if you are planning on using PCI Express, the X700. I personally prefer ATI, and I haven't followed nvidia much lately, so you'll have to leave those recomendations to someone else.

No, motherboards do not come with proccesors on them, unless you buy a prebuilt computer of course.

You shouldn't need any cables, everything should come with the hardware you buy, although that isn't guranteed.

That's a pretty decent proccesor, although as I will always recommend with 64s, go with the 939 Socket as opposed to the 754 socket.

Also, if you're willing to dish out some extra cash, go with the Winchester core as opposed to the Newcastle core, as the Winchester runs cooler than the Newcastle.

The socket on the motherboard just has to match the socket of the proccesor to be compatible, so the motherboard you have selected will need a proccesor with a 754 pin socket.

In response to your edit, there's two big 64 bit sockets on the market right now, 754 and 939. 939 is the newer and better socket, and will eventually replace the 754 socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom