Firewire/USB 2.0 PCI Cards not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

piseas

Solid State Member
I have an HP Pavillion with an AMD Athlon 1900+ 1.6GHz running WIN XP Home edition.

I recently purchased a 300gb hard drive from Seagate and I needed a firewire / USB 2.0 for the drive. I first purchased a cheap Q-stor Firewire PCI card that shut my CPU down whenever I started up the external drive. The card was recognized by the CPU, but the shutdowns were unavoidable. After the shutdown the CPU could not fully boot to Windows with the card installed. I would take the card out of the PCI slot and it worked fine.

I now have a D-link PCI USB 2.0 / Firewire combo card that is not recognized by my system at all. The driver that came with the box installed fine, but still no card...

AGH!

What do I need to do so that I can start using my new external drive with my CPU?

Many thanks.:confused:

I don't know if the drivers from the previous firewire card could be causing conflict...so i would go into device manager and then to pci and look and see what all shows up...if the old card does then delete the driver then try to reinstall the d-link driver....or maybe the drivers could have had a bug or two...maybe try to check the d-link site for any new drivers or patches

tried that

Yeh, I tried looking for that-the only thing that I found remotely close was a USB port of some sort, but nothing resembling a Firewire 1394 IEEE Bus host. Is it possible that the D-Link card is not compatible with my computer?

Thanks for your help.

Unlikely. This may also be a PSU problem. Do you have enough wattage to run this card and drive? Is the external firewire drive supplying its own power or feeding off your PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom