Firewire card troubles - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Firewire card troubles

I've got a generic brand PCI firewire card in my system. I mostly use it for occasional video capture through an AVS Pyro A/V Link box. I always turn the AVS box off when I'm not using it, so there's not many time that the firewire card is in use.

Recently when I turn on the AVS I'm getting a device error (in device manager) saying that the firewire card cannot be started. I've tried everything I can think of to restart it....disabling and reenabling, uninstalling the card and scanning for changes and letting it reinstall, uninstalling and rebooting and letting it always shows up with an error in device manager saying it cannot start.

The only thing I've found that works is opening the case, removing the card and reseating it. the 3 times it's done this, I've been able to get it working by doing's just a pain in the butt to have to completely unhook my CPU and open it up to fix this.

Anyone have a suggestion of what could be wrong or a possible fix? I know a new card is easy enough, but the card works fine when it will start up, and it doesn't foul up every time I plug something in.....just when it's been unused for a long period of time.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Have you tried seating it in a different PCI slot?

Advanced Geeks - Advanced Technology Forums.
Have a technical question that no one here has an answer to? Ask certified professionals! Try us out!
We need your help! requires knowledgable mods and users to help handle a variety of tasks. PM me for more info.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah, the first time it fouled up, I moved it to another slot.
Closed Thread